Gameboy pocket Bluetooth

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
kuipou

Gameboy pocket Bluetooth

Post by kuipou » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:56 pm

A year ago when the gaboze pi was starting I bought a gameboy pocket that was dead to convert into it but it would have been more expansive and with my disability i can't solder but I was thinking that it would be cool to use it a bluetooth controler to play gameboy games or gbc would there be away to do it?

millski

Re: Gameboy pocket Bluetooth

Post by millski » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:03 am

I did something similar, stripping the insides out of a usb nes controller and putting them inside a dmg. I bought a simple button board from Deadpan robot and soldered the contacts from the nes controller pcb to the dmg button pcb then crammed it all inside the shell. Still soldering though 😕

I know your gameboy is dead but if you could find a working one this: https://shop.insidegadgets.com/product/ ... ontroller/ works really well. It’s not Bluetooth, so you need the cart and dongle but it works ace on my pc and on a retropie setup I have.

kuipou

Post by kuipou » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:17 pm

though would it be alot of soldering?

millski

Post by millski » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:14 am

kuipou wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:17 pm
though would it be alot of soldering?
Depends on how complicated you want to get. For me I used a hardwired usb controller, so I just had to find the live and ground traces on the pcb to solder to for each button - the pcb had a shared ground if I remember rightly, so it’s 8 buttons on a gameboy (4x directions, a+b, start+select) which meant 16 live solders and 2 for the ground.
For a Bluetooth controller you’ll need to carry over the battery too. Assuming it’s a rechargeable you’ll need to mount the charging port somewhere.