GAME BOY 1UP (Florian Renner concept)

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
ICMF

Re: GAME BOY 1UP (Florian Renner concept)

Post by ICMF » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:30 am

Will do. Currently trying to figure out a power solution: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2734

ShadowFax

Post by ShadowFax » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Oooh boy, this design is awesome.
I am thinking to build one as well once my 3D printer is working.
Keep it up guys!

inches

Post by inches » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:10 pm

ICMF wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:30 am
Will do. Currently trying to figure out a power solution: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2734
Thanks for sharing! Definitely would be cool to print your case off. Did you do those touchups you mentioned before putting it on Thingiverse yet?
Your next build should include a Compute Module 3! Sign-up to be notified about the CeMu Partner Pre-Order:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3148

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 1-5] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3003

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 6+] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 00&p=33219

My guide to Soldering kits http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3024

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:27 am

No. In fact I spent most of yesterday afternoon pretty much entirely re-doing the case. :( Still not sure I'm happy with it, but it's getting there...

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:38 am

has anyone made any progress on this recently?
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:51 am

Pretty much stalled while I wait for components. Still. Just got some USB connectors this week after ~90 days in the mail. I gave up on the package with... everything else... and re-ordered everything with expedited shipping, so hopefully it'll be here in a couple of weeks.

I've made some more adjustments to battery location and can post some current renders in my WIP thread, but I want to have all the interior components before I finalize my case design.

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 am

ICMF wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:51 am
Pretty much stalled while I wait for components. Still. Just got some USB connectors this week after ~90 days in the mail. I gave up on the package with... everything else... and re-ordered everything with expedited shipping, so hopefully it'll be here in a couple of weeks.

I've made some more adjustments to battery location and can post some current renders in my WIP thread, but I want to have all the interior components before I finalize my case design.
thanks for the update, i am interested in this build as it is so different to the millions of gameboy zeros in the show off, this is making me say wow again :lol:
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:12 am

Looks super slick; I love the ridges kept along the back, but they look a little deep. You could save yourself a lot of material just making them half a mill like the DMG.

Keep it up! I'm actually cracking on with my Orange Pi PC monster with a scratch-built design.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Rabin

Post by Rabin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:52 am

I truly adore the spotless outline of this case and on the off chance that I had a 3d printer I would give it a shot. One of the issues I'm seeing would be making sense of an approach to get the cartridges like that. I expect it is conceivable to utilize a cartridge, for example, the r4 or a modded ds amusement and one of the spring cartridge spaces to enable you to boot retropie specifically off of it. Unquestionably a fascinating idea and I would love to investigate this all the more once I complete my GBZ extend.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:21 am

It would definitely be possible to have a "functional" cartridge, using something like the PRS cartridge board as an SD extender. That does functionally the same thing - extend the MicroSD out to a removeable cartridge, which the Pi reads through a cartridge socket.

The problem is space. That takes up a big chunk of room inside the case, and without a custom AIO it would be tough to carve out enough room for all that *and* keep the thin form factor of Renner's concept. Although to be fair, it's hard to squeeze in a battery and keep the thin form factor of Renner's concept. :)

Oh, and @RetroRocket. The ridges are the same dimensions as the DMG. Actually, adding the ridges saves a bit of material, as they're removed them from the shell's thickness - I designed the overall shell, then cut the grooves and details from that.