CM3 Breakout "Daughterboard" Concept

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Apis

CM3 Breakout "Daughterboard" Concept

Post by Apis » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:17 pm

Hello, I had an idea today, and I was wondering if anyone was interested in the concept to develop into a product. With the release of the compute module 3 (CM3) based on the raspberry pi 3 coming out in the next 6 months or so, I thought that the sudomod community could also use the very compact CM3 in their projects to save room. My idea is to create a "daughterboard" that exposes the gpio pins like the raspberry pi zero does, thus allowing the soldering of gpio pins while allowing the free removal of the CM3 via the snap in/out so-dimm connector. Such as if the board gets damaged or when the CM4 coms out. ;)

Here's a very shitty rendering of the concept directly soldered to the up-and-coming sudomod darling, Kite's AIO board.

http://imgur.com/a/D3YQj

Would anyone be interested in the concept for development? Would it be useful? Also, I'd love Kite's input on this.

kite

Re: CM3 Breakout "Daughterboard" Concept

Post by kite » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:04 pm

This is actually really funny as I saw the specs have been released now for the CM3 and I had this exact same thought!!

Ultimately I'd like to redo the main board to directly take the CM3 but this could be a good lead up to it (being compatible with original boards and also anyone could have a pi3 in their project without having to unsolder the Ethernet and USB of a full size pi3..).

This would also mean an easier way to do HDMI as I would have to put the signals somewhere!

I'll have a play and see how this would work :) the funny thing is that the CM ends up being a LOT thicker than the zero.. So using this may perhaps require some careful consideration not to hit anything on the other half of the case..

Other options include having VGA out on it too, such that you could use 6x thin wires to do VGA (obviously not using the original adapters, screen drivers don't need that)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

Apis

Re: CM3 Breakout "Daughterboard" Concept

Post by Apis » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:29 pm

kite wrote:This is actually really funny as I saw the specs have been released now for the CM3 and I had this exact same thought!!

Ultimately I'd like to redo the main board to directly take the CM3 but this could be a good lead up to it (being compatible with original boards and also anyone could have a pi3 in their project without having to unsolder the Ethernet and USB of a full size pi3..).
This is the boat I'm in, where I'd like to take advantage of the power of the RPi3, but I lack the skills to successfully de-solder all of the necessary components of the RPi3 to do so. None of the other builds on sudomod and other websites have instilled in me the confidence to try to build my own GBO handheld, but your AIO has really gotten me excited to try since it looks easily in my skill range!
kite wrote:I'll have a play and see how this would work :) the funny thing is that the CM ends up being a LOT thicker than the zero.. So using this may perhaps require some careful consideration not to hit anything on the other half of the case..

Other options include having VGA out on it too, such that you could use 6x thin wires to do VGA (obviously not using the original adapters, screen drivers don't need that)
Whether a daughterboard or a new Kite AIO is needed, I'm excited to see what you build! :)