Jelly's SuperAwesome What [Wii U Pi 3] [Picture Heavy]

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
jellypowered

Jelly's SuperAwesome What [Wii U Pi 3] [Picture Heavy]

Post by jellypowered » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:07 pm

So this is going to be my project thread for my SUPER AWESOME WHAT!

After completing the GBZ, I got the bug. During the build, I got in on a Helder AIO 2.2 Board. So I ordered parts to build a second better GBZ. (Still waiting on those, I will do a build log on that one, with things I learned to do different during the second one)

So, I admit i'm not very good at posting threads and stuff, sorry if I go off topic. I have the attention span of a hamster.

First off, I needed a Wii U. Off to ebay!
Waited to find one under 40 bucks, took about a month but I found one.
Looked extremely dirty from the listing photo (attached)
wiiu gamepad.jpg
wiiu gamepad.jpg (128.12 KiB) Viewed 9962 times
Have everything disassembled and will be cleaning everything very well due to various animal hair and junk all over everything (EVEN INSIDE WTH)
no pics of it yet, nothing's modded.

Step two - I needed an LCD Screen.
After reading BanjoKazoie's post I ordered the screen he listed. Some fitment modding will be required, but i'll make it work. Haven't gotten to that yet.
Buuuuuut, I did some work today at a friends metal shop , and had the bezel powder coated satin black.
You can't even see the bezel against my keyboard. My desk is a mess, but you can see the Rpi 3 just above the keyboard.
screen bezel small.jpg
screen bezel small.jpg (123.72 KiB) Viewed 9962 times
Which leads me to STEP 3!!!!
Got a Rpi 3 at Microcenter on a texas trip.
Began de-soldering the bulky components, I'll admit I suck at that too. Ended up using sharp side cutters to cut the ports (USB and Ethernet) off, cut the ethernet pins flush with board since I won't be attempting to reuse those. The usb pins are still sticking up, but I'm pretty sure I can finish de-soldering those.

Now... How to interface the stock Wii U controls...

10P FPC .5mm connectors
This confused me as it didn't show both sides at once. I took a chance, but these ended up being what I needed. You will have to cut the tabs on the FPC cables on the wii controls, these connectors will close even with the tabs, but I don't want to tear/damage the FPC cable.

These will make wiring to a generic AT32u4 a lot easier as it provides a breakout to the FPC connection.

For the Thumbsticks I will probably just cut the connector and extend the wires.

[spoiler="Power Circuit Rant"]Power will be a little different than the standard setup most people use, here's why.
The Rpi3 can potentially draw up to 2.5 amps depending on what is hooked up to it. I know it has built in wifi/bluetooth, and most likely the only thing i'll be using a usb port for is the AT32u4 and extend one to external (flash drive for roms/external controller/whatever) plus the screen and amp.
The package the screen came in said use a 5v 2.5a supply, which worries me about having enough power.

I saw that Banjo is using a powerboost 1000 basic. I'm probably going for overkill with my setup now that I'm typing this thread out. someone talk me out of it or suggest things.

Any way... onto components.
Micro-USB connector->
Charging circuit (undecided which one)->
Batteries- 4x Samsung 25r 18650's (approx 2500mah each)->
DROK Slim DC 3V to 5V 3A Converter Boost Step Up Voltage Regulator Power Supply

What i don't know is how i'll handle safe shutdown/turn off the power supply. I may cave and get a powerboost 1000c
I also have a
SMAKN® 5V 2A Dual USB LCD all-in-one Boost Lithium ion Battery Charger Module
I could use. again, how to shut off?[/spoiler]
This post is getting stupid long. I'm sorry!

Running total: (all prices include shipping if paid) 154.14 not including batteries I already had.

[spoiler="List of Individual Parts"]Wii U Gamepad - $29.99
Rpi 3 - $34.99
At32u4 - $6.39
6.5" HDMI LCD + Controller - $53.00
2x 10p FPC breakouts - $5.50
15cm HDMI to HDMI Flexible FPC - $9.54
USB-Micro BOB - 10x 4.34 - $0.44
USB TP4056 Charger Board Module TE420 - 5x $6.69 - $1.34
3V to 5V 3A Boost Converter - $10.15
16x2mm 10K Ohm Double Dial Taper Wheel Duplex Potentiometer 5Pcs $6.13 - $1.23
OSHPark Order - GBZ Power Header (x3 min order) $4.70 - $1.57[/spoiler]

Spoiler doesn't appear to work. I tried?
Edit: Fixed spoiler after searching forum, I left out the required quotes.

Code: Select all

[spoiler="text here"]
Last edited by jellypowered on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jellypowered

Re: Jelly's SuperAwesome What [Wii U Pi 3]

Post by jellypowered » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Got my screen installed. Started mocking up the rest, and I deceded i'm going to add on a back panel so I have more room. When the clay dries I will use ABS liquid to make a shell over the clay, then sand/fill/paint so it looks factory.

jellypowered

Post by jellypowered » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Just showing some progress on my extended back.

Will need lots more layers and then LOTS of sanding and shaping.
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 9793 times
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 9793 times
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 9793 times
IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 9793 times

muniosi

Post by muniosi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Looking good! Excited for the end product.
I've just finished my milk.

jellypowered

Post by jellypowered » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks! I was begining to think I was posting for nothing lol.

I still don't know exactly what i'm going to do about power except I know my batteries will be 18650's.

Any suggestions?

jellypowered

Post by jellypowered » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Got some sanding done today, and added a layer of bondo. Mixed it pretty hot and put it on fairly thick, but I know i'm going to be sanding a lot so... might as well start filling in the gaps.

I will be making a custom sanding wand thingy to get the profile I want on the edges near the hand grips. the bottom will need quite a few light coats to build up to match the profile of the edge.

jellypowered

Post by jellypowered » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:07 pm

At this point it's got 2 coats of bondo. Things are taking shape. I'm not happy with the shape yet but you can't cake bondo on too thick or it will crack... at least on cars it does.
That slope tho.
Third coat. Getting closer.
Some unnecessary globs but for the flat parts my Dremel mighty max makes short work with a 60 grit triangle. A small tip, mechanized sanding of abs leads to melted abs. Do the parts touching abs by hand and give it plenty of time to cool off or you'll leave gouges and marks all over your pretty plastic.

I think i may only need one more coat after this one. Tomorrow will tell!

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Jelly's SuperAwesome What [Wii U Pi 3] [Picture Heavy]

Post by wermy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Nice - really interested to see how the bondo end-product looks. I've never used it before. Thanks for sharing! :)
ImageImageImageImage

jellypowered

Post by jellypowered » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:17 pm

I will update any time i have significant post content. When I get to the wiring stage I probably won't post much until it's wired.

Bondo to me is easier to work with as it isn't rock hard as epoxy. It sands easy and holds paint well. I can see the appeal of Epoxy if it were handled roughly, but this is probably going to be a personal unit, Unless someone offers me an arm and a leg for it.

Thanks for the reply!

jellypowered

Post by jellypowered » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:19 pm

No pictures today, but I got the final coat of bondo applied. I THINK it's the final coat anyways. More pics when i get it sanded.