PSOne pi?

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
z3r0scape

PSOne pi?

Post by z3r0scape » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:30 pm

so i was thinking of ideas for a raspberry pi zero build, and randomly the PSone popped into my head, and i was wondering since im still new to this whole pi thing, im okay with electronics, but i was wondering if it would be possible to hook a pi zero up to the PSone flip up screen and use the body as the pi holder and possibly big battery holder. and for those who dont remember what a psone is here is a picture
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 4329 times

jb32647

Re: PSOne pi?

Post by jb32647 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:49 am

z3r0scape wrote:but i was wondering if it would be possible to hook a pi zero up to the PSone flip up screen
s-l225.jpg
Hmm, you might need to do a bit of modification to the PSone screen, as that screen only natively accepts RGB input, which the pi does not output. maybe try searching for something along the lines of "PSone screen composite mod" on google to see if it is even possible.
An amateur at best. Current project: GB 'Athena'

z3r0scape

Post by z3r0scape » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:14 pm

so i did some reasearch and the screen is a 5 inch screen, so i'm thinking swap that out with a newer one and gut out the actual PSone and you could easily fit a full raspberry pi 1/2/3 in there and run USB extensions to the front and rear for power and controllers, and easily fit a really big battery for max game time, i might try this just have to track down a PSone that's not to expensive

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:56 pm

z3r0scape wrote:so i did some reasearch and the screen is a 5 inch screen, so i'm thinking swap that out with a newer one and gut out the actual PSone and you could easily fit a full raspberry pi 1/2/3 in there and run USB extensions to the front and rear for power and controllers, and easily fit a really big battery for max game time, i might try this just have to track down a PSone that's not to expensive
Just be sure to measure the thickness of any 5" screen you get, as the bezel on the PSOne screen looks pretty thin.
An amateur at best. Current project: GB 'Athena'