NES - "Evercard"

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Kilren

NES - "Evercard"

Post by Kilren » Thu May 19, 2016 12:43 pm

So, I wanted to look into another project as well and get some feedback about how to possibly go about this the simplest way.

Doing the GBZ has left me in my corner around my NES a lot. I've gotten incredibly nostalgic. I want to play my NES games on my NES. However, I'm not willing to open my NES. It works, and that's just silly to think about modding them. I know that back in the day though, they had multicarts that would have three games on them. A google search today got me to some multicarts that utilize SD cards, and can play your romset. I'm not willing to pay $118 for that though, especially since it seems like a very simple thing in theory.

My question is directed to someone who knows how to do this. I want to take an old NES cartridge, put in the hardware that is needed to play the romset on the cartridge and make absolutely no mods to the console itself. Ideas?

Here's a couple of links to this evercard I ran into. Evercard and Evercard - Youtube

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: NES - "Evercard"

Post by Helder » Thu May 19, 2016 11:30 pm

Simple in theory not do much in execution. Most of these carts have an FPGA that takes the rom stored on an SD card and loads it into the on board Flash Memory which then acts as a real rom version of the game.

If it was easy to do they wouldn't be so pricey plus once you have one you don't need any other carts to play any game.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu May 19, 2016 11:39 pm

Helder wrote:Simple in theory not do much in execution. Most of these carts have an FPGA that takes the rom stored on an SD card and loads it into the on board Flash Memory which then acts as a real rom version of the game.

If it was easy to do they wouldn't be so pricey plus once you have one you don't need any other carts to play any game.
I was wondering if they had some sort of ram system, and how you could get a sd card to access and write that. Dang. Not as easy as I hoped. Might have to make a NES-Z then. Time to find a broken nes.

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 am

Well, comparing prices of a whole NES - Z project, maybe those 100 bucks won't be that big expense. Plus, you already have functioning original hardware ;)

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Fri May 20, 2016 11:14 am

Mad_Duke wrote:Well, comparing prices of a whole NES - Z project, maybe those 100 bucks won't be that big expense. Plus, you already have functioning original hardware ;)
I actually figured the NES-Z would be a lot cheaper than what we're paying for the GBZ (we don't need many of the parts). Plus, it serves dual purpose. It can be outfitted with an RPi3 and emulate more systems, such as N64.

I was hoping for a cheap mod, but if price tags come close it only makes sense to me to get more for my money (more emulated consoles).

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Sat May 21, 2016 6:18 am

Kilren wrote:
Mad_Duke wrote:Well, comparing prices of a whole NES - Z project, maybe those 100 bucks won't be that big expense. Plus, you already have functioning original hardware ;)
I actually figured the NES-Z would be a lot cheaper than what we're paying for the GBZ (we don't need many of the parts). Plus, it serves dual purpose. It can be outfitted with an RPi3 and emulate more systems, such as N64.

I was hoping for a cheap mod, but if price tags come close it only makes sense to me to get more for my money (more emulated consoles).
Of course you get more options with the Pi :) It's a matter of preference. But there is something really cool about having original hardware and just feeding the roms through a Evercard :)

But personally. For something as big as a console I would just go the mitx PC route with a most powerful dual core pentium overclocked and put something like Hyperspin on it. Then you are sure to play everything from DICE to latest PC fighting games :)

TurtleKitty

Post by TurtleKitty » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:35 am

Kilren wrote:

I had a similar idea, and was wondering wouldn't it be possible to "stream" the game from a pi using the GPIO pins connected to the cartridge pinout? So connect the pi to the pins on the cartridge and have it act like the chip in a regular cartridge?

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:11 pm

TurtleKitty wrote:
Kilren wrote:

I had a similar idea, and was wondering wouldn't it be possible to "stream" the game from a pi using the GPIO pins connected to the cartridge pinout? So connect the pi to the pins on the cartridge and have it act like the chip in a regular cartridge?
Unfortunately, I don't have enough smarts to answer this one.

TurtleKitty

Post by TurtleKitty » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:32 pm

Kilren wrote:
TurtleKitty wrote:
Kilren wrote: I actually figured the NES-Z would be a lot cheaper than what we're paying for the GBZ (we don't need many of the parts). Plus, it serves dual purpose. It can be outfitted with an RPi3 and emulate more systems, such as N64.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough smarts to answer this one.
I appreciate the honesty!

Gonna be looking into it, really hope it is, would be amazing to have a cartridge that can either be plugged directly into a TV and run emulation or into an SNES and play in original hardware! As far as I understand it, it should hypothetically be possible, if anyone else has any input feel free to jump in

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:30 am

I've seen something like that on instructables

Here : http://www.instructables.com/id/NES-in-a-Cartridge/