Wii U Gamepad zero/gamepi project thread

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Ganreizu

Wii U Gamepad zero/gamepi project thread

Post by Ganreizu » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:44 am

Several users seem to be interested in a gamepad zero (or gamepi?) project so i wanted to start a thread for those of us who want a collection of references and information and discussion on how to get it done.

Wii U gamepad dimensions: 5.3 in × 0.9 in × 10.2 in (13.5 cm × 2.3 cm × 25.9 cm)
Raspberry pi dimensions: 85.60mm x 56mm x 21mm (or roughly 3.37″ x 2.21″ x 0.83″)

It seems like the Pi 3 will fit within the gamepad case, but confirmation would be ideal. Confirmation that the ethernet/USB ports can be exposed through the top side of the case would be 100% ideal as well.

I placed my Rpi2 above where i want it to go in my final build to see if it looks like a good enough fit and it seems perfect to me!

Teardown of the wii u gamepad: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintend ... down/11796

The verdict on the above teardown is really promising for this project. Nothing is hard glued together and is very easy to replace all the parts and take apart. The downsides really don't apply to us either so it might as well be a 10/10 as far as a medium to build this project with.

If you're going with a pi 3 (as i probably will barring new product releases that fixes certain issues, which is unlikely at this point given the pi 3 is only 3 months old) here are some heating solutions:

https://www.element14.com/community/com ... sink-ideas
http://www.newark.com/amec-thermasol/mp ... M=noscript
http://uk.farnell.com/sunon/mc25100v2-0 ... dp/1924847
http://cpc.farnell.com/honest-well/t23a ... dp/SW03177

Parts:

Gamepad replacement shell w/ speakers and buttons (thanks [mention]Fleder[/mention]): http://popularforsale.com/products/orig ... 9032609478
Power management?
Screen?
microSD card solution?

That's all i have so far! Post links/info for this OP and i will add it.

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Wii U Gamepad zero/gamepi project thread

Post by Popcorn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 am

They look pretty big. How much are these things? Easy to find broken ones?

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:05 am

Broken ones can be found all over eBay. Seems they all have cracked screens. Price is usually around $50-60. What I want to know is will this shell be enough or is it necessary to have more original components from an original broken gamepad. It seems the shell has all the buttons and even the speakers.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:11 am

Popcorn wrote:They look pretty big. How much are these things? Easy to find broken ones?
Funny enough the teardown shows that the gamepad is like 75% empty space...which makes total sense to me now since they're unexpectedly light for how big of a device it is and yet quite comfortable. I feel like we might have to create a weight to use on the other side of the case if the pi weighs down one side too much.

I've seen people say broken pads are half retail price ($50) but honestly that shell i linked has probably everything that we could possibly need.

Not really sure what we're going to do about a button board though. Would any of the teensys work for the two joysticks? Would we have to use the original button board somehow?

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:01 am

I'm sure with all the talented people like Wermy on this site it will get resolved quickly. The gamepad is pretty big but I think it'll be an awesome project. I was analyzing the size and design yesterday on display at a local Target store.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:12 am

Rod2D2 wrote:I'm sure with all the talented people like Wermy on this site it will get resolved quickly. The gamepad is pretty big but I think it'll be an awesome project. I was analyzing the size and design yesterday on display at a local Target store.
And a quick and easy build too! Expose the USB and ethernet ports and what is there left to do really? No need for a USB hub, Pi3 already has built in wifi and bluetooth, heat sinks and a fan are a quick addon, HDMI connector at the bottom of the case, micro SD card exposed on outside as well...once we find a screen that looks great and way to power everything and a button board it probably wouldn't take more than a couple days of work to make everything.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:14 am

You want at least the shell including the buttons, or else you will have to buy buttons that fit those holes in the case. Good luck with that.
Sure, the original buttons can be bought seperately, but that will be the same price in the end.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:46 am

Mine should be here tomorrow, can't wait to crack it open and see how much room we have to work with. From the measurements and pictures I've seen it seems like we'll have lots of room for battery and a full-sized pi. Can't wait!
ImageImageImageImage

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:54 am

wermy wrote:Mine should be here tomorrow, can't wait to crack it open and see how much room we have to work with. From the measurements and pictures I've seen it seems like we'll have lots of room for battery and a full-sized pi. Can't wait!
Please try with a Pi 3. I have one already and would love to put it back to work. Once you are able, Let us know if the shell linked above would be sufficient or if an official broken gamepad will be essential.

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:26 am

This guy has started a Wii U gamepad Pi project here:

https://youtu.be/ONVBN7BFOi4