RetroMayhem

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
RogerX

RetroMayhem

Post by RogerX » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:48 pm

A few of us have been spitballing some design ideas... any thoughts on this?

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/retromayhemhandhelds/
-RogerX
Instagram & Twitter: @iamroot ( http://instagram.com/iamroot )
sudomod Discord: Roger the Bananaman

ThompsonTinkers

Re: RetroMayhem

Post by ThompsonTinkers » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:46 pm

I do like the large battery pack. I’ve been thinking about how to shoehorn 3x18650 into a 3D printed gameboy style case. I like the idea of a game system that’s also an all-day portable unix workstation :ugeek:

It looks like you could build it as a single PCB, with the battery holder soldered to the back. Maybe I’ve been following Kite’s thread too closely, but there are a few places you could hide a compute module. And lots of extra PCB room on the back of the board in the wings.

The shell looks difficult to fabricate. Those curves would be tough to 3d print and get a nice finish. Maybe print it in sections, clean it up and then use that as a positive to make a negative mould? I’ve never tried it, but I hear resin casting is practical for smallish runs. At least, they seem to swear by it over on the replica prop forums.

Is it just me or should L1/R1 be the top shoulder buttons?

abrugsch

Re: RetroMayhem

Post by abrugsch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 am

ThompsonTinkers wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:46 pm
It looks like you could build it as a single PCB, with the battery holder soldered to the back. Maybe I’ve been following Kite’s thread too closely, but there are a few places you could hide a compute module. And lots of extra PCB room on the back of the board in the wings.
Funny you should say all that... ;)
The shell looks difficult to fabricate. Those curves would be tough to 3d print and get a nice finish. Maybe print it in sections, clean it up and then use that as a positive to make a negative mould? I’ve never tried it, but I hear resin casting is practical for smallish runs. At least, they seem to swear by it over on the replica prop forums
There are other ways too..
sm.png
sm.png (11.92 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
keep your eyes peeled...