Did I ruin my screen's board?

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
nickz

Did I ruin my screen's board?

Post by nickz » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:38 pm

I was able to take off the component, but when I was attempting to solder the ground wire onto the pad, I think I somehow ripped it off. I also accidentally touched the resistor next to it with the soldering iron and melted it. Am I able to recover from this? Or do I need to get another unit?

This is the adafruit screen's board and I'm trying to do the 5v conversion
IMG_20161231_173254.jpg
IMG_20161231_173254.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4657 times

abrugsch

Re: Did I ruin my screen's board?

Post by abrugsch » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:57 pm

That looks recoverable...
The resistor that got knocked isn't melted, just needs resoldering.
The pads of the IC you removed might be ok, it's hard to see with all the burnt flux though.
Have you got some solder wick/braid? Some fresh solder and braid will clean that up nicely then you can see what's what. Even if the pad is missing, if it's a ground, then there will be plenty of other places to hook up to.
I'm more concerned by the potentially missing components to the right...

nickz

Post by nickz » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:44 pm

abrugsch wrote:That looks recoverable...
The resistor that got knocked isn't melted, just needs resoldering.
The pads of the IC you removed might be ok, it's hard to see with all the burnt flux though.
Have you got some solder wick/braid? Some fresh solder and braid will clean that up nicely then you can see what's what. Even if the pad is missing, if it's a ground, then there will be plenty of other places to hook up to.
I'm more concerned by the potentially missing components to the right...
Thanks for the response! I do have some braid. I can try and clean it up and see what it looks like. I was wondering how to make that look a bit better.

I was thinking that because it's a ground that it would be recoverable, which is good news. I just need to figure out where else I can stick the ground. I also need to get some SMD resistors. The 473 that I knocked off is long gone. I cleaned up my area and it got lost in the mess.

Also, there are no components missing. I know it looks like there are, but there aren't. If you look at pictures of the Adafruit screen, there are no components in those two spots.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:24 pm

nickz wrote:Also, there are no components missing. I know it looks like there are, but there aren't. If you look at pictures of the Adafruit screen, there are no components in those two spots.
Ahhh. Good to hear. I m not familiar with that adafruit board so it's hard to tell.