Button PCB

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Boydee

Button PCB

Post by Boydee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:51 am

Hey guys,

I've been reading the forums for the last week or two while I wait on parts to build my own Game Boy Zero.

My question I've been wondering in the absence of being able to order the AIO boards at the moment I've found cheap ones on eBay which are just the button pcb.

How would I go about getting L and R buttons wired up cause these boards don't have the option.

This is one of the boards I'm looking at.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322443552675
Boydees First GBZ : Here

abrugsch

Re: Button PCB

Post by abrugsch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:32 am

Simple answer is that it doesn't need to... you have to wire individual wires from your Pi GPIO (or teensy etc.) to the panel, so for L/R buttons which don't have a landing pad on the panel, you just wire direct from the GPIO/Teensy to the L/R button(s)

Boydee

Post by Boydee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks for the reply I kinda understood that but which pins? I've looked at wiring diagrams on here but most I can find use a AIO board

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 am

it depends on how you're handling input. are you using a teensy/other microcontroller to make the inputs USB, or are you doing direct GPIO?
if you're doing direct GPIO, which library are you using to convert GPIO inputs into key presses? There are so many ways to do it, how you do it depends on which method you choose...

if you're using GPIO, there's a guide here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57 (I found this from the wiki, loads of people are using AIO's now, but plenty of people did GPIO's before that. lots of the older non-aio guides can be found in the wiki. (sudomod.com home page -> wiki)

Boydee

Post by Boydee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:30 am

Ahh dude that's exactly what I'm looking for thanks heaps!