WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
Willywilliams

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by Willywilliams » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 am

I'm having trouble wiring up the power on/off part. I can get it to turn on but I have to hold the button and when I release it the 5v line from the powerboost shuts off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Willywilliams

Post by Willywilliams » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Alright, funny story. Also, to help anyone who's doing this project, I couldn't get the power on wiring/power off script to work if I updated raspi-config. I did work without a hitch after I reinstalled retropie 4.1 though... 3 weeks of annoyance....

On to debugging the battery monitor section.

jimathy666

Post by jimathy666 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Hm, how many pins should be on the Potentiometer and Jack Port? Because I think I did a stupid and ordered a 3 pin potentiometer and a 5 pin a jack port

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Willywilliams wrote:Alright, funny story. Also, to help anyone who's doing this project, I couldn't get the power on wiring/power off script to work if I updated raspi-config. I did work without a hitch after I reinstalled retropie 4.1 though... 3 weeks of annoyance....

On to debugging the battery monitor section.
If you using RPi3 make sure u are using the RasPi 3 circuit schematics from https://github.com/craic/pi_power and have added enable_uart=1 in your config.txt so no need to mess with raspi-config.

Willywilliams

Post by Willywilliams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:40 pm

banjokazooie wrote:If you using RPi3 make sure u are using the RasPi 3 circuit schematics from https://github.com/craic/pi_power and have added enable_uart=1 in your config.txt so no need to mess with raspi-config.
Did all that, nothing worked for me. Using the original install with no updates to raspi-config solved it for me. Also, I got the battery monitor to work using different gpio pins. Not sure why that was the solution, maybe I broke some of the connectors when I tore off the gpio pins. Either way, I'm in business now.

Just need to mount and then rewire it to fit inside the case. My final problems are fitting the battery since I'm using slightly different components and a different setup, and wiring the front buttons.

jimathy666

Post by jimathy666 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:07 pm

ZarkWizard wrote:As promised here is the Teensy code.. It's a wee bit more complex looking that the code that was posted, but I am sure you will find that it is much more flexible in design.

A couple of things to keep in mind when using this code. If you are using analog sticks they must be defined on the right side of the teensy. Ports start from A0 (digital pin 21) and go down to A10 (digital pin 11) A11 = Digital pin 22.. Just remember to reference them as 0-11 when calling the analog reads.

The code may seem a little daunting, but if you pin up your teensy, then uncomment DEBUG_BUTTONS, you can basically run the teensy connected to your computer while you put the cursor beside what you are trying to set the key for and it'll put the pin number in the code for you. I call it lazy mans coding.. who really wants to screw with figuring out the pin locations.. :D

A few things the code does when running...
- If you hold down the power button on the Wii-U Controller you can toggle modes

- While holding power press START to enable MAME Mode (D-PAD Becomes Keys)
- While holding power press SELECT to disable MAME Mode (D-PAD becomes buttons)
- While holding power you can click the left stick and it will toggle between Joystick and Keyboard modes
- While holding power you can click the right stick and it will toggle between PSX and N64 modes default is N64, if you want to change the default change the variable GameState

That brings me to another point. I wired up the TV, Power, and Home buttons as well. It's not listed in the above docs, but I included an image in this message with the pin locations on the FRC. Remember to connect your ground (any one of the 3 pins to any ground on the teensy). I used the following Teensy pin locations for the buttons:
  • // ------------- Bottom Row
    const int ButHome = 8;
    const int ButTV = 9;
    const int ButPower = 10;
Keep in mind this code is designed for a Teensy 2.0 I have no idea if it will work on any other.

Please see Teensy coding thread for latest code:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 956#p23956

Dunno if I should make another thread with the code, or if banjokazooie wants to update the code for his teensy that he has in the first post. If you use this code and follow all the pinouts it will actually map to the teensy that is pictured, and work as expected.

If you have questions about the code please feel free to ask.

-- Edited Teensy code new functions... v1.3 --
CHANGES:
ADDED DIRECTION PAD SUPPORT ACROSS ALL MODES
ADDED HOME BUTTON KEY COMMANDS
ADDED MAME MODE BUTTON SETTING FOR D-PAD
So let me be dumb for a moment and ask some utter noob questions.

If I wire 'that' specific pin on the 18pin fpc, does that provide it with power (on command) via the USB from the pi?

If so if I use the 8pin on the back of the home board to a DIP board, and connect that up to a teensy, will that power the LED's right? I'm just confused how they get power, I've done any of this before.

Oh and me being a skeptic for a moment, I could be wrong (I honestly have no idea) could the other pins on the 18 pin fpc be for extra power to the NFC chip and all that jazz?

ZarkWizard

Post by ZarkWizard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 am

jimathy666 wrote: So let me be dumb for a moment and ask some utter noob questions.

If I wire 'that' specific pin on the 18pin fpc, does that provide it with power (on command) via the USB from the pi?

If so if I use the 8pin on the back of the home board to a DIP board, and connect that up to a teensy, will that power the LED's right? I'm just confused how they get power, I've done any of this before.

Oh and me being a skeptic for a moment, I could be wrong (I honestly have no idea) could the other pins on the 18 pin fpc be for extra power to the NFC chip and all that jazz?
Which pin? The LED Pin @ 7 (Power LED pin on the fpc)? If you want to provide power to the pin you will need to wire ground (16,17,or 18) to ground on the Teensy, and wire pin 7 on the fpc to the Teensy. To turn the LED on you supply a HIGH (digitalWrite(LED_PIN, HIGH);) to the pin you want to turn on. With ground, and the pin connected the LED will turn on. To turn the pin off supply a LOW (digitalWrite(LED_PIN, LOW);).

Am I missing something? I connected the TV LED, but that wasn't powered through the fpc, I connected the wire to the resistor before the LED. Someone else provided a photo above. If you do that for the TV button the same applies, you want to make sure you have a connection to 16,17 or 18 going to the ground on the Teensy. Keep in mind you only have to connect the ground once, you don't have to connect all of them.

inches

Post by inches » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Would you mind posting the ai file for the main board in your setup? You mentioned one was available in your interview.

Thanks!
Your next build should include a Compute Module 3! Sign-up to be notified about the CeMu Partner Pre-Order:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3148

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 1-5] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3003

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 6+] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 00&p=33219

My guide to Soldering kits http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3024

jimathy666

Post by jimathy666 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:18 am

ZarkWizard wrote:
jimathy666 wrote: So let me be dumb for a moment and ask some utter noob questions.

Which pin? The LED Pin @ 7 (Power LED pin on the fpc)? If you want to provide power to the pin you will need to wire ground (16,17,or 18) to ground on the Teensy, and wire pin 7 on the fpc to the Teensy. To turn the LED on you supply a HIGH (digitalWrite(LED_PIN, HIGH);) to the pin you want to turn on. With ground, and the pin connected the LED will turn on. To turn the pin off supply a LOW (digitalWrite(LED_PIN, LOW);).

Am I missing something? I connected the TV LED, but that wasn't powered through the fpc, I connected the wire to the resistor before the LED. Someone else provided a photo above. If you do that for the TV button the same applies, you want to make sure you have a connection to 16,17 or 18 going to the ground on the Teensy. Keep in mind you only have to connect the ground once, you don't have to connect all of them.
That did help in a way, but I'm trying my hardest to avoid soldering directly to the official boards.

I'm guess I'm just wondering if you figured out which pins were for the led's and stuff from the smaller 8 pin board that the user pointed out earlier.

If I can make use of that with a 8pin board, it'll end up being more convenient, less messy...and less chance of me destroying the oem boards

jimathy666

Post by jimathy666 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:29 am

Hm, here's a passing thought.

Could I substitute the teensy and wire all the buttons (with the aid of the pcb board things) directly to an arcades zero delay USB controller?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152165136765

Obviously I'd lose certain features that the teensy provides. But for the convinience of wiring and for it to accept it as a USB controller is much easier than me trying to fight with a teensy.

EDIT: after looking this over, the analog sticks would be a problem..the wii's appear to be a single connection for each axis. While the USB encoders require each direction to be connected seperately, anyone know a way around this? Maybe a different analog stick, like the adafruit one?