WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
phdirnou

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by phdirnou » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:14 am

Which kind of LED colors did you solder on the Home board and in which order?
Because the original Wii U homeboard has only two diferent LEDs. A red one to show you the battery capacity, which is either blinking or steady or off, and a blue one for the "Home" button. If I read the pi_power project on github right, than we have either some RGB LEDs or a green one and a red one.

And another question.
Will it work with the Pololu Step down converter/pushbutton power switch?
Because as in the pi_power project described, he uses an Adafruit PowerBoost 1000 Charger.
So many questions... :?
Sorry for that, I'm a noob in electronics and thank you for your answers

sublime8365

Post by sublime8365 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:59 am

banjokazooie wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:31 pm
LordDarkScream wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 am

What is this component in red?
ON/OFF Push button circuit
https://github.com/craic/pi_power
Do you have a link to where I could buy this part? Was this even used in the final build? Figuring out the power on/off and batter monitoring is the last thing I need to complete my build but I'm not sure how this all got wired together in your build.

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 pm

sublime8365 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:59 am
banjokazooie wrote:
LordDarkScream wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 am

What is this component in red?
Do you have a link to where I could buy this part? Was this even used in the final build? Figuring out the power on/off and batter monitoring is the last thing I need to complete my build but I'm not sure how this all got wired together in your build.
It is a simple circuit you can make yourself ;)

sublime8365

Post by sublime8365 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:46 pm

banjokazooie wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 pm
sublime8365 wrote:
banjokazooie wrote:

Yeah after some research I was beginning to make that conclusion :)

So that is only the on/off push button circuit from here?: https://github.com/craic/pi_power

What is the big black component? I don't see anything in that schematic that would look like that
pi_power_schematic_1.png
pi_power_schematic_1.png (29.66 KiB) Viewed 7526 times
It's not serving any purpose for the analog/digital converter that is listed as the 2nd hardware subsystem in the article? Do you even need that converter or are the LED's just wired directly to the charging board and powerboost?

I'm still pretty confused about how all of the bottom buttons are working and how the battery status functions work. Can you confirm that the below pic from a previous post has the soldering points correctly identified on the bottom circuit? Or if not how you determined the solder points? What color LED's do you use for low battery, charging, charged, power on, etc.?
board2.png
board2.png (3.3 MiB) Viewed 7526 times

sublime8365

Post by sublime8365 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 pm

banjokazooie wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 pm
sublime8365 wrote:
banjokazooie wrote:

Nevermind I think I found the answers to my questions in the last post. All of the LEDs are working according to that pic I posted.

Still not sure what the black component I asked about was. At this point I'm leaning on just putting a mini slide switch in between the charging board and powerboost and just using the emulation station shutdown option from the main menu to power down and the switch to power back on.

Other than the aesthetics of using a slide switch vs the power button and the convenience of the software enabled shutdown - are there any drawbacks to doing this?

Kayumba

Post by Kayumba » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 pm

If your board charging have already "overshoot/over discharge protection" do you really need "BATTERY PROTECTION CIRCUIT 8A"?

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Kayumba wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 pm
If your board charging have already "overshoot/over discharge protection" do you really need "BATTERY PROTECTION CIRCUIT 8A"?
Battery protection board is a must for non protected lipo battery packs. The charging circuit have no protection build in. The big black part is a capacitor used for Rpi version 3

Kayumba

Post by Kayumba » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:57 pm

banjokazooie wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:06 pm
Kayumba wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 pm
Battery protection board is a must for non protected lipo battery packs. The charging circuit have no protection build in. The big black part is a capacitor used for Rpi version 3
Thank you for answer.

danielbrz

Post by danielbrz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:48 am

I looked at the links, a best option could be the https://www.usinainfo.com.br/arduino-or ... -2595.html

sublime8365

Post by sublime8365 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Ok I have two more questions. Everything is working except my LEDs. I have two issues I'm still having:

1. I decided to use a slide switch for the power on/off instead of the method you linked to. Not sure if that is related to my problem but currently the powerboost low battery LED is always on (both the LED I have wired to it and the onboard LED). Below is a pic of how I have it wired. Does anything stand out to you as an issue?
Powerboost troubleshooting.png
Powerboost troubleshooting.png (256.77 KiB) Viewed 7302 times
2. I'm not able to pinpoint where to solder the LEDs onto this charging circuit to turn on the charging (orange) and full charge (blue) LEDs on the wii. Would anyone know?
Charging board.PNG
Charging board.PNG (280.82 KiB) Viewed 7302 times