[WIP] Wii U Gamepad build

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
jimathy666

Re: [WIP] Wii U Gamepad build

Post by jimathy666 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Willywilliams wrote:That's the unfortunate part, I can't seem to find them anywhere. You might want to contact the manufacturer.

By the way, the 7in display does touch too! So if you can find a digitizer that plugs into the display you'd be golden for touch responses.
I was thinking that! But that'd mean modding the case so it'd fit. Not something I can easily do.

I have so many questions about this but little response..no insult, I was just hoping more people would chip in :P
1 backwards question is, would having 2 MicroUSB chargers(top and bottom of pad) overload the charger circuit? (I'm expecting so, but if not, it would be funny/helpful)

Maybe I could use the Powerboost 1000's USB port to power the Pi directly from it's MicroUSB and then use the Pi to control whether the screen and speakers get power via the TV button on the front? Is there any options that would help with that? Like is there a simple on off PCB or something, so I can wire the TV button to it and it literally switches power on to certain things, then press it again to turn it off?

I'm trying to plan a way so the screen is disabled because of the plain fact I would like to use this while charging. I've I turn off enough things, then surely it'll allow enough power to go to the battery.

The HDMI's PCB appears to have controls for the on/off, if I can't find a way to control the power, I'll have to go the longer route and control the screen directly (I've never done any actual programming on the PI before so I'm not sure whats possible)

Every thing I try to plan ends me back at HDMI board. The lazy way seems to be ram a load of Switches and Splitters into it and try and control that via the TV button.

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:44 am

jimathy666 wrote:
Willywilliams wrote:That's the unfortunate part, I can't seem to find them anywhere. You might want to contact the manufacturer.

By the way, the 7in display does touch too! So if you can find a digitizer that plugs into the display you'd be golden for touch responses.
I was thinking that! But that'd mean modding the case so it'd fit. Not something I can easily do.

I have so many questions about this but little response..no insult, I was just hoping more people would chip in :P
1 backwards question is, would having 2 MicroUSB chargers(top and bottom of pad) overload the charger circuit? (I'm expecting so, but if not, it would be funny/helpful)

Maybe I could use the Powerboost 1000's USB port to power the Pi directly from it's MicroUSB and then use the Pi to control whether the screen and speakers get power via the TV button on the front? Is there any options that would help with that? Like is there a simple on off PCB or something, so I can wire the TV button to it and it literally switches power on to certain things, then press it again to turn it off?

I'm trying to plan a way so the screen is disabled because of the plain fact I would like to use this while charging. I've I turn off enough things, then surely it'll allow enough power to go to the battery.

The HDMI's PCB appears to have controls for the on/off, if I can't find a way to control the power, I'll have to go the longer route and control the screen directly (I've never done any actual programming on the PI before so I'm not sure whats possible)

Every thing I try to plan ends me back at HDMI board. The lazy way seems to be ram a load of Switches and Splitters into it and try and control that via the TV button.
Push button power switch from adafruit.
Can be used as standalone on/off switch between source and anything connected or to controll powerboost on/off state trough EN pin.
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/adaf ... GwodRAEGDA

jimathy666

Post by jimathy666 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:24 am

banjokazooie wrote:Push button power switch from adafruit.
Can be used as standalone on/off switch between source and anything connected or to controll powerboost on/off state trough EN pin.
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/adaf ... GwodRAEGDA
Oh wow, so in theory...I can wire the power for the screen and amplifier to that..
Then remove the switch on that board and wire it to the TV control button?

Would it be possible to incorporate the Video output change in some way to that?

Edit: What would the benefit of turning off the Powerboost be? I'm genuinely curious, wouldn't that turn off the power completely?

Edit 2: I might make use of the sync button on the back to in a sense, using this power switch, control the screen and speakers battery power. Then use the TV control button wired to a hdmi switch to change the switch's output.
..that should work right lol

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:57 pm

jimathy666 wrote:Oh wow, so in theory...I can wire the power for the screen and amplifier to that..
Yes it will work
jimathy666 wrote: Would it be possible to incorporate the Video output change in some way to that?
For HDMI output you need a HDMI switcher
jimathy666 wrote: Edit: What would the benefit of turning off the Powerboost be? I'm genuinely curious, wouldn't that turn off the power completely?
That is the point of this switch to cut power delivery with one button.
jimathy666 wrote: Edit 2: I might make use of the sync button on the back to in a sense, using this power switch, control the screen and speakers battery power. Then use the TV control button wired to a hdmi switch to change the switch's output.
Yes it will work
But you are trying to make an all around device limited by battery power. Keep in mind the limited space inside and whole purpose of building a portable device. :)

jimathy666

Post by jimathy666 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:11 pm

banjokazooie wrote:
jimathy666 wrote:Oh wow, so in theory...I can wire the power for the screen and amplifier to that..
Yes it will work
jimathy666 wrote: Would it be possible to incorporate the Video output change in some way to that?
For HDMI output you need a HDMI switcher
jimathy666 wrote: Edit: What would the benefit of turning off the Powerboost be? I'm genuinely curious, wouldn't that turn off the power completely?
That is the point of this switch to cut power delivery with one button.
jimathy666 wrote: Edit 2: I might make use of the sync button on the back to in a sense, using this power switch, control the screen and speakers battery power. Then use the TV control button wired to a hdmi switch to change the switch's output.
Yes it will work
But you are trying to make an all around device limited by battery power. Keep in mind the limited space inside and whole purpose of building a portable device. :)
Ha I know, I'm a stickler for customising things. I can't just do the easy thing.

I like the idea of a portable device that can be used as a console if need be :)

I'm going to have to find the smallest versions of everything I can.

I'm opting for a tablet style flat battery so I have the space spare where you placed yours. Might have to stick some small boards up there or something.
I might end up filing some of the button assembly things down a bit too to make use of that space

jimathy666

Post by jimathy666 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:50 pm

http://www.focalprice.com/GW0105B/PGWU0 ... Black.html
hello sexy ;)
Think I found my dock solution. Take this apart and mod it to hold a MicroUSB and HDMI

Willywilliams

Post by Willywilliams » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:07 pm

A little late on my reply.... Got distracted by Zelda....

I meant the 7in board has a touch input connector, so if you got a digitizer that matches the pinout (possibly doesn't exist), but again that means you need to source the board in the first place.

Willywilliams

Post by Willywilliams » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Oh, and as for the tablet style battery, you might run into issues. I had the same idea and it's just a tad too much without modifying the gamepad shell. Nothing a little dremelling and something like plumber's putty and paint couldn't fix.

jimathy666

Post by jimathy666 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:20 am

Willywilliams wrote:Oh, and as for the tablet style battery, you might run into issues. I had the same idea and it's just a tad too much without modifying the gamepad shell. Nothing a little dremelling and something like plumber's putty and paint couldn't fix.
I measured up the battery to the case and such and from what I can see, it will fit if i just remove the existing compartment for the battery

And I'll tell you something, I'm having sooo much trouble soldering the potentiometer..never struggled so much before, wires wont stay on, solder wont stay on, keep melting the plastic.

jimathy666

Post by jimathy666 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:51 am

After writing my complaint about soldering tiny potentiometers.

I got cocky, I noticed how 'loose' the pins were and moved them a bit and rammed it into some veroboard and bent the pot back a bit. This essentially created a board I can use for soldering the ins and outs.

When the simple way doesn't work, you gotta get ghetto