Macintosh Pi

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
PolletjeNL

Macintosh Pi

Post by PolletjeNL » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:52 am

Last year I purchased a broken Macintosh Classic. The logic board was not usable anymore, and the frame inside was rusted. I came to the conclusion that the battery inside the Mac had corroded the metal and traces on the logic board long time ago.

So as I was searching for a fun project, I reused the case of the Mac, to build my self a semi-portable-retro-carrying-to-friends console.

I removed al old parts from the case. The metal frame, which holds the logic board was put in to a big plastic canister to soak in Vinegar. After 2 days, I cleaned the frame, and gave it a good coat of silver-metal paint. I reused the logic board, as I wanted the outside to look original.

The old floppy bay was removed. I made an adapter-plate from some prototype board to provide 2 usb connectors at the front of the mac.

Since the original CRT was not usable. I used it to make myself a frontplate for the 10.1 inch lcd screen.
I used transparent acrylic and a heat gun. By putting the old CRT face-up in a ceramic pot, I could lay a piece of acrylic on top of it, heat it up and have it take the shape of the old CRT. After it cooled down, I cut it up to fit in the Mac.

I reused the memoryboard to provide 4 power connections for the poweradapters. The old apple blower/cooler is used to cool the Pi 2. It uses 12V. I used an old 12V 1A power adapter to power it. The Pi 2 uses its own 5V 2.4A power adapter, and the screen controller also uses a 12V 1A power adapter. I used a cheap 5v stereo USB powered boombox for audio.

I reused the power connector and switch of the Mac.

Instead of retropie, I used recalbox, since this is simpler to config, and easier for non tekkies to use. All of the emulators are configured to use 4:3 resolution, instead of 16:9. It fits the screen of the Mac better.

The pictures:

abrugsch

Re: Macintosh Pi

Post by abrugsch » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Very nice!
I love the acrylic over the CRT mod.

moosepr

Post by moosepr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Yeah that acrylic trick is a stroke of genius! Helps to keep the retro feel.

Do you have any plans to reduce the yellowing?
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

PolletjeNL

Post by PolletjeNL » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:30 pm

abrugsch wrote:Very nice!
I love the acrylic over the CRT mod.

PolletjeNL

Post by PolletjeNL » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:32 pm

moosepr wrote:Yeah that acrylic trick is a stroke of genius! Helps to keep the retro feel.

Do you have any plans to reduce the yellowing?
No I think it helps the nostalgia. My goal is to trick people in thinking it's just an old Mac :mrgreen: .

Psyco359

Post by Psyco359 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 pm

That looks really nice! Now you just need a Macintosh emulator running on it. lol

PolletjeNL

Post by PolletjeNL » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:34 pm

There is a apple emulator called Basilisk II, it runs on retropie. I'm looking in to it on getting it to run on recalbox.