GBA-xl, A custom 3D printed Gameboy Advance

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
Hackmi

Re: GBA-xl, A custom 3D printed Gameboy Advance

Post by Hackmi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:44 am

THE PRESSURREEE IS ONNN! Heh, lol. No pressure :) Take your time

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:32 am

Cool.

One word of advice though: I'm pretty sure the yellow "shelf" for your screen is going to have to be modified, as it looks like there won't be enough clearance for the components on the back. You may run into problems routing the HDMI connections, too, so it would be worth modelling those parts to be sure. (I'm using the same screen in my build)

Also, how are you planning on dealing with the HDMI connection? You can get FPC HDMI ribbon cable adapters which will save a lot of space compared to normal HDMI cables. Although IMO the best solution would be to desolder the HDMI ports on the Pi and screen and install ribbon connectors directly to the boards. You'd need to be very good with a soldering iron, but it would save a *ton* of space. (you're basically replacing the HDMI sockets with something the size of the camera port)

dbak85

Post by dbak85 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm

ICMF wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:32 am
Cool.

One word of advice though: I'm pretty sure the yellow "shelf" for your screen is going to have to be modified, as it looks like there won't be enough clearance for the components on the back. You may run into problems routing the HDMI connections, too, so it would be worth modelling those parts to be sure. (I'm using the same screen in my build)
Thank you! I measured all the components of the screen to make sure I have space. the screen is even slightly off center which I had to account for :(
Screen and shelfShow
ICMF wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:32 am
Also, how are you planning on dealing with the HDMI connection? You can get FPC HDMI ribbon cable adapters which will save a lot of space compared to normal HDMI cables. Although IMO the best solution would be to desolder the HDMI ports on the Pi and screen and install ribbon connectors directly to the boards. You'd need to be very good with a soldering iron, but it would save a *ton* of space. (you're basically replacing the HDMI sockets with something the size of the camera port)
I had planned to use the ribbon cables, there is definitely space next to the Pi for the flat HDMI connectors that come with the Ribbon cable.
Next to the screen is a little tighter. It should work but I think I will check again just in case.
I am confident in my soldering skills, but not THAT confident :lol:

Hackmi

Post by Hackmi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:50 am

This is looking very good, did you use 123D to model it?

dbak85

Post by dbak85 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:47 am

Hackmi wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:50 am
This is looking very good, did you use 123D to model it?
Thank you. I used autodesk fusion 360 for this.

dbak85

GBA-xl, update

Post by dbak85 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:40 am

So I have a short update. I have finished the case!
I had a friend who was going to print it for me but it turns out that he can only print pla.with the glass transition temperature of pla at 60c, I have concerns about the heatsinks touching plastic.

Another problem is that the final size of my case exceeds his build plate by about 5cm which would mean cutting the case in half. Not ideal.

This saturday I got a good deal on an Anet A8 and I am currently waiting for it to arrive. It is a setback timewise but this means I can get the case in a single print in abs.

So it will be slow for updates for a while as I need to receive the printer, set it up and get the hang of using it. But then it should get going a little faster.

Thanks for your patience. ;)

Hackmi

Post by Hackmi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:49 am

Hmm, nice, hope the anet a8 works well.
You consider 3dhubs?

dbak85

Post by dbak85 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Yup I did. But the thing is I did not buy the printer for this projet. I just have been considering a 3d printer for a while now and when I saw the deal I took it.
Now that I bought a printer might as well use it for this project. :)

Raysplace30

Post by Raysplace30 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:22 am

I have the anet a6 - it works a treat! Looking forward to seeing this finished as considering doing a similar build myself.

dbak85

Post by dbak85 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:45 am

Raysplace30 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:22 am
I have the anet a6 - it works a treat! Looking forward to seeing this finished as considering doing a similar build myself.
Yes it seems to work pretty good. It took almost a month to get here due to customs :(

I assembled it this weekend and did a few tests. It seems to be pretty good and the quality is also not bad for the price, but then the power supply blew. I was using mosfets to bypass the current from the board and to draw it directly off the power supply. It seems that was too much for the under-rated, crappy chinese psu. I ordered a 40a one this morning and have to wait for it to arrive :(