I made a thing!

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
MrDralixx

I made a thing!

Post by MrDralixx » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:37 am

I'm still pretty new to 3D printing and really new to trying to use any of the creation software, so bear with me and my primitive design(s). :)

Like many, I have many projects that are incomplete. One of them being the PiGRRL Zero designed by Adafruit. I had started it using the original case design. (I had to purchase it off of Etsy as I didn't have a printer at the time) I'll admit, I wasn't too keen on it after I got about halfway into it due to not like the lack of audio and/or using a USB audio port if I wanted to hear anything. As usually happens though, someone re-designed their case a bit better and added a sound card, speaker and volume control, which freed up the USB port to be used for other things when needed. (like connecting a keyboard when needed or adding more ROMS via flashdrive)

I now have a printer (2 actually, sorry for the brag) and printing the updated case design was at the top of my "To-Do" list. They finished well enough (still learning to tweak the printers) and when I started assembling, I noticed the same issue the original case design had. There was a gap between the LCD screen and the inside lip of the top case part. A bit of research on this turned out to be due to Adafruit's original design was based on an LCD screen that had foam tape holding the screen to the PCB. Their manufacturer stopped using the foam tape and started using double-sided tape instead. This caused the gap.

As I didn't want to buy foam tape and hope I got the right stuff, I decided to try and see if I could close the gap myself (sorry. couldn't resist that pun). Tinkercad isn't too difficult to figure out so I was able to measure based on the redesigned case top. It prints well for Jpete24's case, but it is a little loose for the original PiGRRL Zero case for some reason. Seeing as I didn't print that original case, I am going to do that and revisit my design to ensure it fits it. I may add another design for his "plus" design too as a coworker of mine is interested in building one of those.

Here's what it looks like fitted inside.
casetop001.jpg
casetop001.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
A link to it on Thingiverse as well: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2591693