The sudomod Wiki is up!

Site/Forum announcements
wermy
Site Admin

The sudomod Wiki is up!

Post by wermy » Tue May 17, 2016 12:25 pm

Hey everyone,

I finished getting the wiki set up! http://sudomod.com/wiki

It uses mediawiki, which is the same software wikipedia itself uses, so it's pretty powerful but has a bit of a learning curve.

You will need an account to log into it... But I was able to get it hooked up to let you use your forum credentials to log in there as well! 8-)

It's pretty barren right now, but I'll be adding a bunch to it this evening and hopefully folks can start jumping in and doing things like listing alternative parts and stuff too.

The CSS is still a little wonky in a few parts, especially on mobile devices, so I'll be tweaking that in the coming weeks.

Also file uploads are currently disabled - I should have that hooked up and working this evening.

A few tips to get people started:

Wikis are not normal websites, think of each page as a standalone page. So there is no GBZ/Parts/Screen.html kind of structure, in stead you'd have something like http://sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title=GBZ_Screen.

When you want to create a new page, all you have to do is create a link to it on an existing page with [[My New Page]], then save. After that you’ll be taken back to the page you just edited, and see a link to a new page titled "My New Page". Click it, and you can then edit that new page.

Be specific with naming of new pages. For example, there is a projects page (GBZ is the only one there for now), and there is a GBZ page, which makes sense. But then there is a Screens page for the GBZ. If you were to name the Screens page just “Screen” then that implies it’s just a generic, project-agnostic page of different screen types. In stead you would want to name that screen “GBZ Screen” so it is specific to that project. You can give alternate text to the actual link that shows up with a pipe: [[GBZ Screen|Screens]]. This will create a link to a page titled “GBZ Screen” (so specific to the GBZ project) but with visible text “Screens”.

My thinking is we can have specific pages for each screen (I keep using screens as an example because that's the part everyone has a hard time finding, and lots of people are trying to find good alternatives for), independent of the GBZ project. So you'd have just a page called "Adafruit 3.5 composite display" *not* specific to the GBZ project, since it could be used for loads of other things. That way we can have all the useful info for a given part (like how to modify a specific screen to run off 5v or whatever), which can be linked to from any project page in the future.

To create a link to an external page (like a product page) do [http://mywebsite.com]. If you want to add alternate text for the link just do a space and then your text: [http://mywebsite.com mywebsite]

You can create sections using ==My Section Name==, and subsections with ===My Subsection Name===.

You can use some simple html as well, like lists and stuff.

Happy wiki-ing!
ImageImageImageImage

Ganreizu

Re: The sudomod Wiki is up!

Post by Ganreizu » Tue May 17, 2016 12:36 pm

Yay thank you good sir. Can't wait to contribute.

theking

Post by theking » Tue May 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Sweet! Nice job :)

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Tue May 17, 2016 1:06 pm

This looks like its going to be fun! :)

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Yay, this is exciting! :D

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Turns out I can't log in? My username is crispy_tofu right? :|

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue May 17, 2016 5:24 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:Turns out I can't log in? My username is crispy_tofu right? :|
Hmmmm, yeah. I see several people from the forums that have logged in successfully to the wiki. Let me ping one of them and see if they can edit successfully.
ImageImageImageImage

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 17, 2016 5:25 pm

Yeah, it says that 'You have not specified a valid username.' I wonder what's wrong? :(

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue May 17, 2016 5:32 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:Yeah, it says that 'You have not specified a valid username.' I wonder what's wrong? :(
Hm. You have an underscore, wonder if that has to do with it.
ImageImageImageImage

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue May 17, 2016 5:44 pm

@Kilren it shows you as having logged in. Did you have any issues? Are you able to make an edit?
ImageImageImageImage