Onscreen elements

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
sotasystems

Onscreen elements

Post by sotasystems » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Does anybody know how to get onscreen information on top of the UI of retropie like serial readings or let's say an image?

My plan is to get the readings my arduino spits out via serial to be displayed on the screen.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

Camble

Re: Onscreen elements

Post by Camble » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:56 am

Yep, Seems you're on the same page as me on a lot of things :lol: The linux framebuffer is what you're looking for. I plan to write a battery meter overlay. Kite already has a working prototype though. Never enough hours in the day!

Check this out: https://gist.github.com/FredEckert/3425429

activex

Post by activex » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:23 am

Camble wrote:Check this out: https://gist.github.com/FredEckert/3425429
Tried this one. It works when emulationstation is not running, but i could not get it working while emulationstation was running. Any ideas?

activex

Post by activex » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:45 am

Found a solution: pngview!

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:07 am

activex wrote:Found a solution: pngview!
You are brilliant! :)
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

activex

Post by activex » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 pm

Thank you sir :lol: I now have a working battery icon by using MCP3008 :D

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:28 am

activex wrote:Thank you sir :lol: I now have a working battery icon by using MCP3008 :D
I have one with an arduino uno now ;)

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:11 am

activex wrote:Thank you sir :lol: I now have a working battery icon by using MCP3008 :D
Have you found a solution to draw over emulationstation? I have noticed that pngview works good for retroarch emu's, but not the ones that don't use retroarch, namely Nintedo 64 :?

activex

Post by activex » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:01 pm

sotasystems wrote:Have you found a solution to draw over emulationstation? I have noticed that pngview works good for retroarch emu's, but not the ones that don't use retroarch, namely Nintedo 64 :?
I don't have any non-retroarch emu's atm, but it draws over emulationstation gui. Have you tried to assign pngview to layer 999999?

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:10 pm

activex wrote:
sotasystems wrote:Have you found a solution to draw over emulationstation? I have noticed that pngview works good for retroarch emu's, but not the ones that don't use retroarch, namely Nintedo 64 :?
I don't have any non-retroarch emu's atm, but it draws over emulationstation gui. Have you tried to assign pngview to layer 999999?
Bro, thank you so much! :)

I tried 1000 and -1000 before and thought that should be it, but it didn't work. 999999 magicaly did the trick! :)