Helder AIO no controls outside of emulationstation

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
SumCanadianGuy

Helder AIO no controls outside of emulationstation

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:59 am

When I am using emulation station or playing a game everything works great. If I try to go in to any type of configuration menu except. themes, wifi, retropie config, etc. I can use the D-Pad but can't select anything. Luckily I have @camble safe shutdown switch or the only way to get out would be to switch off the system.

Not sure if my keyboard is unsupported or my USB ports don't work because I can't control them with a keyboard either. If I pull the card and put it in my pi 2 I can use a keyboard or a SNES USB controller. If I plug the SNES controller into my GBZ USB port it is not recognized so that doesn't help either.

144TECH

Re: Helder AIO no controls outside of emulationstation

Post by 144TECH » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:50 am

You WILL NEED a KEYBOARD for these things ! navigating up and down yes, but no select or enter or anything, it does NOT work.
if your keyboard doesnt work, you may change the usb settings, and then it can work, but now your wifi or usb stick transfer will not work, its one of the 2.
Actually you don't need to alter these settings, you should set it up working so you never need it, in case there's trouble you can hookup a keyboard. me and many others had and have the same as you. it is what it is.
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 am

I had used the USB fix config.txt that @Helder posted in the thread just because I thought I'd need to. Is this what makes the keyboard not work? Problem is I can't set up my WiFi without a keyboard and if keyboard works and wifi isn't how do I set it up?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:03 am

SumCanadianGuy wrote:I had used the USB fix config.txt that @Helder posted in the thread just because I thought I'd need to. Is this what makes the keyboard not work? Problem is I can't set up my WiFi without a keyboard and if keyboard works and wifi isn't how do I set it up?
I have a list of working keyboards in my support thread's first post that work in usb 1.1 mode. Basically any logitech keyboard works and a few other brands.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:15 am

buying a new pi zero for 10 bucks is the solution, it has bluetooth and wifi onboard, so you can overcome these issues. that's what i did.

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:15 am

Helder wrote:
SumCanadianGuy wrote:I had used the USB fix config.txt that @Helder posted in the thread just because I thought I'd need to. Is this what makes the keyboard not work? Problem is I can't set up my WiFi without a keyboard and if keyboard works and wifi isn't how do I set it up?
I have a list of working keyboards in my support thread's first post that work in usb 1.1 mode. Basically any logitech keyboard works and a few other brands.
Thanks, I'll see if I have one kicking around. If I don't there is likely one at work somewhere. Don't need Internet on there, but I'd like to have it on so I can ssh at least.

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18 am

144TECH wrote:buying a new pi zero for 10 bucks is the solution, it has bluetooth and wifi onboard, so you can overcome these issues. that's what i did.
I have one on order, just not overly excited about rewiring everything. I Hardwired a wifi dongle to one of the USB hub ports and id have to completely disassemble to remove it because of where I put it. Wasn't expecting a new zero with wifi to come out the day after I soldered everything to mine and glued it in haha.

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:44 am

That's exactly why i didn't glue my zero in the case but made it in there with screws, i only have to re solder the sd card wires, but now im gonna make 2 4pin connectors there, also on the helder board for the usb ports, and use connector cables, so basically no soldering at all anymore, if something goes bad i can take it out easy and replace it, and you are not the only one who's screwed in this case haha LOL.. many people are gonna swap now, and at the same time Helder will get some rest and less complaints about his board now :D poor Helder :lol:

Greets