DC DC Converter

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
okaay

DC DC Converter

Post by okaay » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:04 am

Hi, a few weeks ago I taught myself how to solder and decided to create a PiBoy zero (maybe not the best project to start with). As I'm really inexperienced in terms of soldering and hardware related things (I'm a software guy) I destroyed my first 3.5" monitor planned for this project. Now I'm pretty frustrated and thought I could use a DC-DC converter to "boost" the 5V of the Pi or later the output of the Adafruit Powerboost 1000c to 12V to power the screen. Are there any disadvantages then I use a converter instead of modding a monitor (and maybe killing it again)?

I hope someone can tell me and I hopefully post this in the forum.

Greetings from Germany.

ShadowFax

Re: DC DC Converter

Post by ShadowFax » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:25 pm

One disadvantage is you still have to solder some cable to the boost converter itself.
Another disadvantage is, boost converter has efficiency rate.

So you have to make sure that the converter will output the required amperage to drive your monitor.
eg: your power supply produces 5V at 2A, with the formula of P = V * I, your power supply will output 10W of power.
Then if you need to drive 12V monitor, and your converter efficiency is at around 80%, the output from boost converter will be only around 12V at 666mA.

I am not sure how much current the 3.5" screen consume, but I guess it only require small amount at 12V.