[GUIDE] Wiring Diagrams: all-in-one board, graceful shutdowns, audio-only board

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
jeffy1021

Re: [GUIDE] Diagrams to wire a GBZ with all-in-one board and graceful shutdowns

Post by jeffy1021 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:33 am

Helder wrote:How would that work exactly? The reason he wants to combine the 2 outputs is to have a muxed left and right channel into the mono speaker. The speaker will sound like shit without the amp, if we tap into the audio as you say then we're bypassing the filter and amp.
The audio would still go through the filter and amp, but the channels would just be combined first.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:38 am

jeffy1021 wrote:
Helder wrote:How would that work exactly? The reason he wants to combine the 2 outputs is to have a muxed left and right channel into the mono speaker. The speaker will sound like shit without the amp, if we tap into the audio as you say then we're bypassing the filter and amp.
The audio would still go through the filter and amp, but the channels would just be combined first.
wouldn't it be better after the pot or even before? either way it's a good test to do in all different configurations.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

slicknick654

Re: [GUIDE] Wiring Diagrams: all-in-one board, graceful shutdowns, audio-only board

Post by slicknick654 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:00 am

*Newbie Question*

Can someone explain what these 2 transistors/resistors do and where I can find them if possible?

http://imgur.com/a/8WRhy
*Cant figure out how to post actual pic :shock:

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:25 am

Helder wrote:
jeffy1021 wrote:
wouldn't it be better after the pot or even before? either way it's a good test to do in all different configurations.
Everything I've read online said to combine the channels before they are amplified (line level). I'll definitely test it on a breadboard first once I find four matching resistors out of my pile.

Camble

Re: [GUIDE] Wiring Diagrams: all-in-one board, graceful shutdowns, audio-only board

Post by Camble » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:28 am

slicknick654 wrote:*Newbie Question*

Can someone explain what these 2 transistors/resistors do and where I can find them if possible?

http://imgur.com/a/8WRhy
*Cant figure out how to post actual pic :shock:
I believe that is for the low battery monitor.

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:23 pm

jeffy1021 wrote:
Helder wrote:
jeffy1021 wrote:
Everything I've read online said to combine the channels before they are amplified (line level). I'll definitely test it on a breadboard first once I find four matching resistors out of my pile.
If you do that the headphones would be mono right and mono left. I think it also works after the amp.

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:21 pm

SidSilver wrote:
jeffy1021 wrote:
Helder wrote: wouldn't it be better after the pot or even before? either way it's a good test to do in all different configurations.
If you do that the headphones would be mono right and mono left. I think it also works after the amp.
It's kind of ambiguous because all the examples I found mention using line level (pre-amplified) audio. But at the same time, I did not find anything that said "Don't use a summing circuit on amplified audio or else you'll break stuff". I'll probably try it both ways and see what happens. I have an extra speaker at least.

Mcurry2089

Post by Mcurry2089 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:42 pm

I'm sure this is somewhere on the forum but I've been having trouble finding it and have found some examples of code that might be what I'm looking for. I just wanted to check and make sure before I got in too deep. Can anyone link me to the coding required for the GPIO pins for the graceful shutdowns?

a3k4

Post by a3k4 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:10 pm

Mcurry2089 wrote:I'm sure this is somewhere on the forum but I've been having trouble finding it and have found some examples of code that might be what I'm looking for. I just wanted to check and make sure before I got in too deep. Can anyone link me to the coding required for the GPIO pins for the graceful shutdowns?
See @Popcorn's code on Github
My wiring diagrams and schematics for Helder's boards and graceful shutdowns.

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:54 pm

jeffy1021 wrote:
SidSilver wrote:
jeffy1021 wrote:
It's kind of ambiguous because all the examples I found mention using line level (pre-amplified) audio. But at the same time, I did not find anything that said "Don't use a summing circuit on amplified audio or else you'll break stuff". I'll probably try it both ways and see what happens. I have an extra speaker at least.
I used two 1k resistors to combine the amplified output and it was really soft. The smallest resistor I could find in my spare part box was 100 ohm and the volume was usable, but still noticeably softer than a straight single channel. The pot and emulationstation are at max volume. I may just go back to a mono speaker and use headphones if there is a game where stereo sound actually makes a difference in playability, we'll see..