[Help Needed] Can't figre out why usb hub doesn't work

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Rolen47

Re: [Help Needed] Can't figre out why usb hub doesn't work

Post by Rolen47 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:27 am

My wired USB keyboard has never worked with my Raspberry Pi Zero when it's plugged into a non-powered hub. The only keyboard that works with my non powered hub is my Wireless Logitech k400 keyboard. I think wired USB keyboards just demand too much power.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:19 am

winnetouch wrote:Hy.

I just made my GB0 almost working. There are only 2 issues I need to get arround. One that's the most frustrating is the USB hub. I used an unpowered usb hub (since the targus one in wermys guide is also not externaly powered). I soldered the male jack data cables to the coresponding usb pads on the pi. Also I wired the powere cables directly to the power strip (a homemade one on a perfboard not helders). The usb hub has only 2 ports. One goes to the teensy and the other to the USB breakout (where the GB link cable normaly sits). I wired the breakouts data cables to the hub, and the power lines to the power strip. But the hub doesn't work. Neither the teensy nor the breakout. When I wired the breakout data wires directly to the coresponding pads (still keeping the power wires on the power strip) on the Pi0 it worked fine.

So I'm guessing I'm wiring something wrong with the hub. Or did I just understand something wrong in Wermys guide?
Helder wrote:
winnetouch wrote:Hy.

I just made my GB0 almost working. There are only 2 issues I need to get arround. One that's the most frustrating is the USB hub. I used an unpowered usb hub (since the targus one in wermys guide is also not externaly powered). I soldered the male jack data cables to the coresponding usb pads on the pi. Also I wired the powere cables directly to the power strip (a homemade one on a perfboard not helders). The usb hub has only 2 ports. One goes to the teensy and the other to the USB breakout (where the GB link cable normaly sits). I wired the breakouts data cables to the hub, and the power lines to the power strip. But the hub doesn't work. Neither the teensy nor the breakout. When I wired the breakout data wires directly to the coresponding pads (still keeping the power wires on the power strip) on the Pi0 it worked fine.

So I'm guessing I'm wiring something wrong with the hub. Or did I just understand something wrong in Wermys guide?
Post pictures of the install and have you tried to twist the data lines?
You guys should have a look at this thread:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1345

It might be that you have the same issue.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:18 pm

Someone already linked to that thread in this topic but that is not or rather shouldn't be a problem. If I connected a USB breakout board to the pads it worked normally. So that is not what's wrong. As soon as I connect a hub there's not enough power to run a simple keyboard.