[Guide] Microcontroller Boards

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Fleder

Re: [Guide] Microcontroller Boards

Post by Fleder » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Raizan wrote:Hi, can someon tell me how to conect the pi zero to the Pro Micro board? or do i have to conect it trough the usb? where do i connect the D+ and D- to the board?

Thank you
The Microcontroller is connected via the USB Hub, as is the Teensy in wermys tutorial.

Raizan

Post by Raizan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:33 pm

The Microcontroller is connected via the USB Hub, as is the Teensy in wermys tutorial.[/quote]

Yeah, what i mean is: to connect the usb hub to the Teensy there are connecting pads and with the pro micro they are not present. What i would like to know is how do i connect the D- (white wire) and D+ (green wire) from the USB Hub to the pro micro

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:17 am

Raizan wrote: Yeah, what i mean is: to connect the usb hub to the Teensy there are connecting pads and with the pro micro they are not present. What i would like to know is how do i connect the D- (white wire) and D+ (green wire) from the USB Hub to the pro micro
The clones all have at least the Micro USB Port, you can either use it in its original form or desolder it to solder on wires.
Most microcontroller boards also do offer pads on the back side where you can solder onto directly without desoldering the port.
The Pinout is the same for nearly every USB Port:

Raizan

Post by Raizan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:09 am

Most microcontroller boards also do offer pads on the back side where you can solder onto directly without desoldering the port.[/quote]

Yeah thats what i was trying to find on the Pro Micro... i will have to wire a micro usb conection then

Thank you :D

Raizan

Post by Raizan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:11 am

Fleder wrote: The clones all have at least the Micro USB Port, you can either use it in its original form or desolder it to solder on wires.
Most microcontroller boards also do offer pads on the back side where you can solder onto directly without desoldering the port.

Yeah thats what i was trying to find on the Pro Micro... i will have to wire a micro usb conection then

Thank you :D

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:42 am

Fleder wrote: The Microcontroller is connected via the USB Hub, as is the Teensy in wermys tutorial.
I got the Atmega-board and programmet it with some code you provided in another thread and it works on my computer (being recognized), but when I plug it into my RPI it's not.
Since I'm not done with my USB board I plugged it directly into the RPI USB port with an OTG dongle, no luck.
Was told that I should try a regular keyboard with the OTG cable, also no luck... PP22 & PP23 on the RPI shows ~3.12V when I have things plugged in and turned on.

Any ideas whats wrong? Is the port fried from earlier attempts with soldering into it?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:06 am

peoplesbeer wrote:I got the Atmega-board and programmet it with some code you provided in another thread and it works on my computer (being recognized), but when I plug it into my RPI it's not.
Since I'm not done with my USB board I plugged it directly into the RPI USB port with an OTG dongle, no luck.
Was told that I should try a regular keyboard with the OTG cable, also no luck... PP22 & PP23 on the RPI shows ~3.12V when I have things plugged in and turned on.

Any ideas whats wrong? Is the port fried from earlier attempts with soldering into it?
With being recognized you mean it actually recognizes as a controller?
Ist it showing up under controllers/devices/printers under windows/start?
There you can see what happens when you press buttons.

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:44 am

Fleder wrote: With being recognized you mean it actually recognizes as a controller?
Ist it showing up under controllers/devices/printers under windows/start?
There you can see what happens when you press buttons.
Ok, I plugged it into my computer again to see if it was recognized as a controller / keyboard and it was not. I KNOW that it was a successful flash with your sketch but I'm not getting any further right now.
For the flash I went with Arduino 1.6.5 and did the following:
Tools -> Card (Board? Swedish setting right now) -> Arduino Pro and then chose the right one under Ports.
Verified your sketch and uploaded it with a success message.

Have I forgot something?
With my regular keyboard I tried to press F4 as the RPI says on the welcome screen but nothing happens.
Since I'm on Mac I'm not familiar with how to fiddle with settings for controllers, never thought I'd miss Windows.. :D
I installed a program (Joystick manager) to see if the Atmega shows up there when connected to my computer but no, it's not (note that I'm not sure if I'm using the program correctly).

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:05 am

peoplesbeer wrote:Ok, I plugged it into my computer again to see if it was recognized as a controller / keyboard and it was not. I KNOW that it was a successful flash with your sketch but I'm not getting any further right now.
For the flash I went with Arduino 1.6.5 and did the following:
Tools -> Card (Board? Swedish setting right now) -> Arduino Pro and then chose the right one under Ports.
Verified your sketch and uploaded it with a success message.

Have I forgot something?
With my regular keyboard I tried to press F4 as the RPI says on the welcome screen but nothing happens.
Since I'm on Mac I'm not familiar with how to fiddle with settings for controllers, never thought I'd miss Windows.. :D
I installed a program (Joystick manager) to see if the Atmega shows up there when connected to my computer but no, it's not (note that I'm not sure if I'm using the program correctly).
So, you RPI0 does not even recognize a standard keyboard?
That is something to check out first.

In Arduino IDE 1.6.5 you have to choose "Arduino Leonardo", if you use a 32u4 Chip Microcontroller.

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:15 am

Fleder wrote: So, you RPI0 does not even recognize a standard keyboard?
That is something to check out first.

In Arduino IDE 1.6.5 you have to choose "Arduino Leonardo", if you use a 32u4 Chip Microcontroller.

Exactly. Doesn't seem that way. Might try to reflash Retropie but I don't think that'd do anything.

Yes, thats what I did, Leonardo. I see I said Pro earlier..
How do I reflash the microcontroller? Just flash another sketch over it or do I need to format it first?