PWM Audio causing screen noise

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
144TECH

Re: PWM Audio causing screen noise

Post by 144TECH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 am

That's probably because you changed the wiring and sound, but there is no issue with helder's board wich is just the same as a external pam amplifier, wich both having no problems, i don't understand how some people getting all these issues with sound and ground (LCD).
At one point, when i was testing i used a longer/thinner wire and i had some waves on the LCD, but this dissapeared by using a bit thicker and shorter wire. i see many people having wires way too long, and all pushed together like a birds nest into their case. This will offcourse create interference(s) especially with thin or long wires on RCA or PWM. anyway i wish the best to you all and hope you get rid of the troubles if you have them.

144Tech
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

doomydoomer

Post by doomydoomer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:01 am

144TECH wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 am
That's probably because you changed the wiring and sound, but there is no issue with helder's board wich is just the same as a external pam amplifier, wich both having no problems, i don't understand how some people getting all these issues with sound and ground (LCD). At one point, when i was testing i used a longer/thinner wire and i had some waves on the LCD, but this dissapeared by using a bit thicker and shorter wire. i see many people having wires way too long, and all pushed together like a birds nest into their case. This will offcourse create interference(s) especially with thin or long wires on RCA or PWM.
Incorrect on your assumption. I certainly can't speak for anyone else but myself but that absolutely was not the case for me. I had moved wires around, rewired, used thicker wires, used shorter wires, changed out the battery, swapped other parts, etc. None of this fixed the issue. Not to sound harsh but you may just have to deal with the fact that some of us got bad boards. Which, in my case, is fine - no big deal. It's important to note that I was not out to simply complain or get a refund of any kind. I merely came here to get info and other peoples input, which I finally got when someone suggested to use a USB Audio solution.

I also have to state this because I feel your response to a lot of people on this board with issues has been to say we don't know what we're doing... You have to realize that many of us DO know what we're doing and that plenty of consumer electronics designed by huge companies that are run through rigorous testing still have inherit design flaws or manufacturing defects. I'm not saying this is the case for ALL of Helder's boards. I think he's done a great thing here for people who wanted to a nice AIO solution. Mine just didn't work out that great, most likely because of a manufacturing defect - no big deal. I never once complained or asked for a refund because we are kind of like testers here and I had a blast doing it.

I'm digressing but a small word of advice when it comes to forums, especially help forums - you should not be so blasé and blanket statement like you're doing about peoples skill set. #1. You don't know these people personally and it really seems like you're assuming people don't know what they're doing regardless of any kind of information you may have. #2. I can imagine your comments are very off putting to new comers who are only here to gain the knowledge to fix a problem or looking for insight, which by the way is the whole point of this forum. You can certainly assume I'm an idiot or noobie or any collection of assumptions that paint me in a negative vein - that's your prerogative. It does not bother me one way or another but I can see it bothering others. What I'm saying is this - just give people the benefit of the doubt and stop blaming their skill set right off the bat. If the problem is their skill set or how they've done something, maybe be a little more helpful other than to say someone doesn't know what they're doing. Just some friendly advice.

Have a good one.

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 am

LOL meight be, indeed. but the message i posted was a reply to someone else, wich claimed to build 6 gbz's in 2 months and the message below was for you indeed maybe you confuse the 2 posts.
( i never said you where an idiot, lol ..did you tested mono while having these issues?) Maybe some of the chips of the pam where bad that's offcourse a possibility, but there can't be much wrong on helder's board like i said its just few chip circuits bundled together. and many people have stereo enabled in their config.txt and mono is the solution to all of this (noise and flickering etc), first of all because the gbz uses a single speaker output, and on mono cfg the jack output is still stereo, or better said, both L+R is working on the headphone. but one is free to decide what to do, at least you could try and see for yourself, if you didnt test this, don't judge.
glad you got it fixed anyway ! i'm out of this topic.

Greets :mrgreen:

doomydoomer

Post by doomydoomer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 am

Seriously, no worries from me personally and thanks, I'm glad I got it working too. I didn't think you were calling me an idiot per se. I was more replying to you telling me it was probably wire placement or inherit composite flicker. haha I literally said to my wife, who was sitting next to me at the time, "come on...really?", to which she gave me an odd look. But definitely no offense taken from me, though I can't speak for anyone else ;)

As for testing, I did finally pull Helder's board completely from the project and tested each PWM channel, both mono and stereo, which resulted in no on screen distortion. That's kinda why I'm labeling it as the cause :\ Who knows - I'm happy with my build though. I've since moved on to other projects like a NES Mini and my own custom 3D printed handheld with HDMI screen (way on the back burner). Our bickering aside, I do hope people find this thread as a useful option to the issue.

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Allright man :D we all have something in common here, the gbz & our youth inside a case :D Greetings from 144Tech