First GBZ Build, Issues with Pi and RetroPi. Please Help!

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
Jag

First GBZ Build, Issues with Pi and RetroPi. Please Help!

Post by Jag » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 am

Hello everybody.

My first time posting in this forum and I am very new to modding with very little prior experience so please bear with me.

Having followed Wermy's guide for the GBZ, I have managed to get the majority of the main components assembled and installed.

The issue i am facing is getting retropi to recognise the controls from the teensy.

Ive installed arduino on the teensy and can confirm all controls work however when trying to connect it to the pi through the USB hub it isnt picking it up.

My second query is how to actually get games and emulators on the pi itself.

Any advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RetroRocket

Re: First GBZ Build, Issues with Pi and RetroPi. Please Help!

Post by RetroRocket » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Jag wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 am
Hello everybody.

My first time posting in this forum and I am very new to modding with very little prior experience so please bear with me.

Having followed Wermy's guide for the GBZ, I have managed to get the majority of the main components assembled and installed.

The issue i am facing is getting retropi to recognise the controls from the teensy.

Ive installed arduino on the teensy and can confirm all controls work however when trying to connect it to the pi through the USB hub it isnt picking it up.

My second query is how to actually get games and emulators on the pi itself.

Any advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
If your arduino controls are being detected when you have it plugged into the computer, then the next logical step would be making sure your USB hub is working properly.

As far as installing games and emulators, have you successfully installed Retropie and can boot your pi? If so, there are a couple ways to add roms (most of the emulators come pre-installed, but you can manually add others later). You could connect your pi to wifi and directly drop roms into the corresponding files from your computer, or you can do it manually. To do this, plug in a formatted USB thumb drive (another good way to test the USB functionality), ideally one with a light.
This should set up (empty) folders in the drive for each system you have installed (Snes, GB, GBC, GBA, NES, MAME, NGP, etc). Once the light stops blinking, this process is complete, you can then plug this thumb drive into your computer and simply drag and drop your rom files into the appropriate folder.
Once you've loaded up all the roms you want to transfer, stick the drive back in your pi and boot it up. BAM. All those roms should be on your pi. Note: the only systems you'll be able to see and cycle through from the Retropie menu will be those that have at least one game loaded.