How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with USBasp Programmer

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Jmk125

Re: How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with USBasp Programmer

Post by Jmk125 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:55 pm

rodocop wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:13 am
Jmk125 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:24 pm
Hi,

So I have been having the problem that I have read of from a few other people's builds. Every so often, there is a slight delay on a button press. It is no one specific button. It was totally minor, but I am greedy and I wanted to fix it so that it was running perfectly. I also couldn't seem to get my L & R buttons to be recognized by retroarch. They are recognized when I set up the controlls in emulation station, but not in retroarch for any emulators even when I go into retroarch settings inside an emulator. For example when I enter the retroarch menu while running GBA, L & R wont even appear under "input" for me to set them at something manually - just D-pad and A and B.

So I read that reprogramming could fix the problem. I reprogrammed (Which I had done successfully in the past) and everything appeared to go smoothly. Afterwards, when I went to boot up, all of a sudden my screen wont power on. I checked all my connections, and everything is exactly the same. I have a custom splash screen in retropie that makes a sound that I can hear so I know that everything is booting up correctly, but for some reason now I have no screen.

Is there anything at all that could have happened (other than a connection coming loose (which I cannot find)0 that could be caused by programming?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated because I already had to replace my screen once due to bad soldering habbits...
Thanks in advance.
I doubt the programming would affect the screen. Did you open up the GBZ while you were re-programming? The only thing I can think of is that the screen connection came loose, or something along those lines (double check the ribbon connector and the soldering to the pi). Also, as for L and R in the GBA emulator, I've noticed the same thing, it only shows A and B, but my L and R still work in games that need them. If you were able to to have the L and R buttons detected in the emulationstation configuration, then there is no reason why they shouldn't work in GBA. Do the L and R buttons work in other emulators? Try to re configure them in emulationstation again?
I did open the gbz, but like I said, I checked all the connections, and the ribbon cable did not seem to have moved. I just tried a fresh install of retropie and still no power for the screen. I did get a couple of "unable to detect"s in AVRDUDESS when I inserted the usb asp to the board. Is is possible that I could have damaged something by accidentally putting it in backwards? I usually double and tripple check that, but I suppose I could have made a mistake. I'm kinda at a loss here.
Thanks for the response.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Jmk125 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:24 pm
I did open the gbz, but like I said, I checked all the connections, and the ribbon cable did not seem to have moved. I just tried a fresh install of retropie and still no power for the screen. I did get a couple of "unable to detect"s in AVRDUDESS when I inserted the usb asp to the board. Is is possible that I could have damaged something by accidentally putting it in backwards? I usually double and tripple check that, but I suppose I could have made a mistake. I'm kinda at a loss here.
Thanks for the response.
The AIO board should not affect the screen at all really. Other than the screen getting power from the AIO board....Everything else is wired to the pi, and if you hear your start up sound then the pi is working fine and probably the AIO. Check with a voltmeter and see if the screen is receiving 5v, and also test the pi with an HDMI screen to make sure the AIO and the pi are functioning properly. If everything works with an HDMI screen you can assume there is an issue with your screen, double and triple check the ribbon cable and the solder points on the pi and the AIO. Hopefully you can figure this out!!!

As for the unable to detect message, the USBasp was just likely not getting a great connection. Unless you soldered some pins to the board to actually plug it in you were probably just holding the USBasp programmer in there, which was probably the reason for those errors. (I had the same problem, until I found the 'sweet spot'.

Jmk125

Post by Jmk125 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:48 am

So I double and triple checked everything. I even redid the wiring to the screen controller board with high gauge cable (previously I had used the cable that was already soldered which was slightly smaller gauge). And still nothing from the screen. I am totally baffled by this. I don't really want to have to buy a third screen...but if that's what it comes down to I guess I have no other option. I do remember that I had the sd still in on my first attempt at reprogramming and the screen maybe lit up for a second until I realized it and stopped. I didn't really think much of it at the time though. I'm kicking myself now because everything would have been done had I just left it the way it was.

onesojourner

Post by onesojourner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Can someone tell me how I am supposed to connect this thing?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 pm

onesojourner wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:05 pm
Can someone tell me how I am supposed to connect this thing?

Isn't it clear in the first post how to set this up? and I also suggest the 10pin to 6pin adapter to make this an easy job, I can see you aren't using one :roll:

Here is an image with the points labeled and are the same for that AIO as this older model:

Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

onesojourner

Post by onesojourner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Helder wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Isn't it clear in the first post how to set this up? and I also suggest the 10pin to 6pin adapter to make this an easy job, I can see you aren't using one :roll:

Here is an image with the points labeled and are the same for that AIO as this older model:

Your right :roll: it did not come with the adapter. I ordered it from ali express. I cannot get this to work correctly with my system. I do have and yellow ! in my device manager. IT says the driver is not signed. I can't get your drivers to install either. Any tips?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:21 pm

You're on Windows 10? There are guides out there for that on the net but if it's Windows 7 you can find signed drivers easily.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 am

onesojourner wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:23 pm
Helder wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Your right :roll: it did not come with the adapter. I ordered it from ali express. I cannot get this to work correctly with my system. I do have and yellow ! in my device manager. IT says the driver is not signed. I can't get your drivers to install either. Any tips?
You need to disable driver enforcement which is default in Windows10.

See here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to ... d-drivers/

You should then get the prompt to allow an un-signed driver installation.

I have successfully re-flashed boards via USBasp using exactly this method with a Windows 10 build.

If you're on windows 7 just manually point to the driver and it should prompt to install.
Regards

Robochris

Post by Robochris » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Solved! I originally installed wrong driver. All is good now!
SpoilerShow
Help,
so everything set up as in the first post.. running windows 10 and got a driver installed..
AVRdudess gives me this message
SpoilerShow
Unable to detect MCU

avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.
No idea what to do now..