How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with USBasp Programmer

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with USBasp Programmer

Post by Helder » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Uru wrote:@Helder So Im having issues with the AVRDUDESS program. I have verified that my USBASP driver is installed but it will not detect the All in one Board. I checked my setting and compared it to what you have and it is all the same but when I click Detect it will say "unable to detect MCU". I have tried multiple computer and USB ports with the same result... Any idea? I have also tried most of the fixes posted on
I used Windows 7 to do this and it works no problem, if you use Windows 8/10 I'm not sure how to make it work 100% on that but there are some guides out there. Did you setup the AVRDudess exactly like in the images I posted? all the settings must be the same (except the part where it says Controller above the fuses), and you might have the header pins upside down. Try flipping the 6pin header around and hitting detect again and be sure you're pushing the pins up against the solder hole walls to make contact or it will not work.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Uru

Post by Uru » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:06 am

@Helder So I have Windows 7 Pro (idk if it makes a difference it shouldn't). I have followed all the steps to the T and when I try to launch the program I get an error message. I click okay and then it looks like it is working but when I click detect it pops up with the same error message. I attached photos of the messages. I have order a new USBASP to ensure mine is not defective. Once I receive it I will try it out to verify.
Attachments
error3.PNG
error3.PNG (102.16 KiB) Viewed 9381 times
error 2.PNG
error 2.PNG (64.06 KiB) Viewed 9381 times
error1.PNG
error1.PNG (16.27 KiB) Viewed 9381 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Windows 64bit or 32bit? If I was you I would just go and download the latest version of AVRDudess and try that version and also right click on the exe file and "Run As Administrator" as a final attempt. I've not seen that error before so it has nothing to do with the USBasp but the actual avrdude program.

https://github.com/zkemble/AVRDUDESS

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Uru

Post by Uru » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:23 am

@Helder so after much experimenting I found my issue. It was something to do with the .ddl file I was using. Thank you for your help! One last question I have one of your older boards the blue all in one without the headphone jack. Is the way to program it the same as this one? Thank you again!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Uru wrote:@Helder so after much experimenting I found my issue. It was something to do with the .ddl file I was using. Thank you for your help! One last question I have one of your older boards the blue all in one without the headphone jack. Is the way to program it the same as this one? Thank you again!
Blue AIO? I don't remember any blue AIO boards, I have blue Audio boards but those don't have an Atmega32U4 to program. Post a picture of this board to confirm.

a3k4

Post by a3k4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 am

I had trouble getting AVRDudess (Windows 7) and the Arduino IDE (MacOS) to detect my board (kept saying that it couldn't recognize the MCU). I believe Helder mentioned this earlier, but just in case it's helpful for someone else:

I powered the board using the 5v/GND pins labeled "USB from Pi Zero" in addition to data and power to the board via the USBasp programmer.

Suddenly the software saw the board, and everything was good to go.
My wiring diagrams and schematics for Helder's boards and graceful shutdowns.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:01 pm

@helder, or anyone really.

I am looking to get a USBasp, but I have no idea what to buy. I've never used one before. Can any one post an aliexpress, eBay link etc...for a good one to buy? Or does anyone here have one to sell? (I'm in Canada)

Also will I have issues using a 64 bit windows 10 machine?

LarsH.

Post by LarsH. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:55 pm

seams to program the board, but ther must be some issue cause the buttons settings are wrong now, so i cant navigate to the setup section :shock:

Code: Select all

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 375000 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9587 (probably m32u4)
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 375000 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: reading input file "C:\Users\User\Desktop\AVRDUDESS\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_Analog_Boot.hex"
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\User\Desktop\AVRDUDESS\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_Analog_Boot.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: writing flash (32730 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 20.87s

avrdude.exe: 32730 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\User\Desktop\AVRDUDESS\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_Analog_Boot.hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\User\Desktop\AVRDUDESS\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_Analog_Boot.hex:
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\User\Desktop\AVRDUDESS\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_Analog_Boot.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Users\User\Desktop\AVRDUDESS\AVRDUDESS\Gameboy_Analog_Boot.hex contains 32730 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 16.60s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: 32730 bytes of flash verified

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

Sorry for my stupid english, im from Germany :roll:

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Ganreizu wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:35 pm
@helder: Got it to work! Used the zadig method (here), which i used before but didn't work somehow, on a separate win 7 computer and flashed all 3 boards in one shot. :D
Thanks for that, I was having the same issues. Once I followed that link I was able to get everything done on my Windows 10 PC, no problems!

daboosa

Post by daboosa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 pm

RetroGamingNow wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:06 pm
My whole build is done for the most part. Everything is wired. Do i need to take it apart to reprogram the board at this point? I am using a MAC as well. Im kind of confused as to where to start here and how to do this. I downloaded the Arduino Sketches as well as the GBZAIO Fritzing Part. Just not sure as to how the exact process works on the OSX system.
Did you need to take it apart?

Thanks Daboosa