GearBest screens warning!!

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
CaptainDurden

GearBest screens warning!!

Post by CaptainDurden » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:17 pm

as several people have said on here before, please be very considerateabout sourcing your screens.
enticed by the price I ordered 2 of their screens. both arrived with f***ed up looking flat cables, one had a really hard crease, the other one was torn about 2 mm on the left side, affecting the data lines. that screen produced a shitty image with off colors and weird lines going through it.

the second one seemed fine at first but when I hooked it up to my old ps2 and put the game in 60Hz (NTSC) mode I noticed some very obvious diagonal wave motions going through the screen top left to bottom right, they looked kinda like scan lines and make it seem as if those screens are not really up to a 60Hz refresh rate.

I will open a customer service ticket with gearbest, get my money back and source my screens from somewhere else, so if anyone knows a trustworthy source for a decent screen that actually can handle 60Hz and doesn't look like a repurposed airplane headrest display, please leave a reply.
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

myPiZero

Re: GearBest screens warning!!

Post by myPiZero » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:31 pm

I got my screen off ebay.
It worked fine until I bent the flex too much and destroyed it. There were some diagonal lines like you describe with the pi, but it was unnoticeable during play.
I ordered 2 new from gearbest, they should arrive on next Monday. I hope they will be good.

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:58 pm

don't count on it.... mine were garbage. and i'm not the first one to say that either...

edit: just noticed your screen is basically the same as the gearbest but at double the price o.O
Last edited by CaptainDurden on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

Camble

Post by Camble » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:03 pm

Maybe you were just unlucky. I think plenty others have ordered the same screen with success, myself included.

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Camble wrote:Maybe you were just unlucky. I think plenty others have ordered the same screen with success, myself included.
i remeber somebody else on here that got a bunch of defective ones as well... might have been fleder. but hey, since you have the same screen can i ask you a question: did you ever notice weird behaviour in 60hz mode? i tried the screen tonight with DMC 3 on PS2, in pal mode everything was okay, but when i set the game to 60hz/ ntsc, i had this very noticeable wavy motion going through the screen top left to bottom right corner. is that expected behaviour, did you ever notice something similar with yours? cuz up until that 60hz test i was pretty happy with that screen.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:20 am

I have ordered about 6 different screens for this project alone and none of those has been defective, broken or damaged.
One was advertised with a wrong resolution but apart from that, everything was good.

Camble

Post by Camble » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:57 am

CaptainDurden wrote:did you ever notice weird behaviour in 60hz mode?
Not that I can think of.

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:43 am

Fleder wrote:I have ordered about 6 different screens for this project alone and none of those has been defective, broken or damaged.
One was advertised with a wrong resolution but apart from that, everything was good.
must've gotten you confused with someone else. I been reading so many posts on here in the last couple days , it's kinda hard to keep track of what I read where and from whom.

@camble: thanks for the info!

gearbest is sending out 2 new screens free of charge, so fingers crossed...

beerman

Post by beerman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:36 am

Just powered mine up and put an NTSC signal through it. No problems here.

myPiZero

Post by myPiZero » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:43 am

I connected mine to a sony camera. Looks ok.
Attachments
20160925_094440.jpg
20160925_094440.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 9004 times