[GBZ] Cartridge Reader from DS Lite Motherboard

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
drafterITA

[GBZ] Cartridge Reader from DS Lite Motherboard

Post by drafterITA » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 am

Hello Comunity :)
I'm in a bit of a struggle with the cartridge reader for my build.. I'm still scouting for parts and where to get them.. and one big bump is the one in the subject.
I can't find on ebay here in Italy only the cartridge reader from a dslite, like in wermy's second build.. BUT! I can find the whole dslite motherboard for a reasonable price.. 20 bucks.
My question would be: is it relatively easy, for some one like me that has to do some soldering practice beforehand, to detach just the cartridge reader from the motherboard without destroying it? :D

What other options do I have to get my hands on a reader? just scout for used gb dmz and rip the pieces I need?

Thank you very much in advance :)
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

drafterITA

Re: [GBZ] Cartridge Reader from DS Lite Motherboard

Post by drafterITA » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:44 am

abrugsch wrote:I have a for sale thread for these... much cheaper than $20 ;)

edit: here: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1957
okay.. I need to learn how to use the "search" function here on the forum first of all! Thank you! You're a life saver! :)
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:47 am

desoldering them is not trivial. unless you have hot air, then it's really easy (but might take you an attempt or 2 to get right, as space is really tight)

Billy Blaze

Post by Billy Blaze » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:14 pm

abrugsch wrote:desoldering them is not trivial. unless you have hot air, then it's really easy (but might take you an attempt or 2 to get right, as space is really tight)
I've got two of these guys flying around and I'd like to desolder them. can you plz give me a hint of how to manage this properly?!
I was just wondering: how hot is hot? (unfortunately don't have a regular heating gun.)

any help is very much appreciated.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Billy Blaze wrote:I've got two of these guys flying around and I'd like to desolder them. can you plz give me a hint of how to manage this properly?!
I was just wondering: how hot is hot? (unfortunately don't have a regular heating gun.)

any help is very much appreciated.

Well i have access to a hot air station and set it to ~350 (C)
I start br getting an iron and desoldering braid onto the large tabs on each end. The ds pcb is really thin so you can start bending it a bit to get the tab off. With tweezers, grab the tab off completely as you'll only be cutting it off anyway.
Once the end tabs are done, put the whole pcb in a vise. If you can get a helper for the next bit, it makes it easier. Have you ever de-boned a fish? Getting the connector off is a bit like that. With hot air heat one end. Get a good heat all along the row of contacts. Once it's all warmed up a bit, work the air from one end with a fine nozzle, pulling the connector up gently away from the PCB. Bend the pcb away from the connector while your helper pulls gently to lift the connector. Then just like a fish spine it should just peel off as you move along with the air.

Hope that helps!

Billy Blaze

Post by Billy Blaze » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 am

thanks for your guide.
I managed my way through without a hot air station. just in case someone else needs this information:

For desoldering the reader I just used my adjustable iron, gave it a lot of heat (~370°C), put quite a bit of extra solder onto the pins and gave the board a good amount of bending force. In a sense it is really like deboning a fish.
I might not did it as elegant as you recommended doing it, but at the end of the day I finally have a cartridge reader for my GBZ.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:25 am

Billy Blaze wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 am
thanks for your guide.
I managed my way through without a hot air station. just in case someone else needs this information:

For desoldering the reader I just used my adjustable iron, gave it a lot of heat (~370°C), put quite a bit of extra solder onto the pins and gave the board a good amount of bending force. In a sense it is really like deboning a fish.
I might not did it as elegant as you recommended doing it, but at the end of the day I finally have a cartridge reader for my GBZ.
congrats!
Even with the hot air, I still end up bending the board quite a bit and some of them haven't released nicely at all and end up being pretty in-elegant and usually not a reversible process! But yeah, the fish de-boning thing really does give you the idea! :lol:

also with the remainder of the board, you can use the D-Pad/button contacts for a minty Pi ;)