Cartridge idea

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
skrapps914

Cartridge idea

Post by skrapps914 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:11 am

Was thinking that the gameboy cartridge could be more than just and SD extension slot. It's got so many pins
So why not,

This?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (926.92 KiB) Viewed 6473 times

Kilren

Re: Cartridge idea

Post by Kilren » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:58 am

skrapps914 wrote:Was thinking that the gameboy cartridge could be more than just and SD extension slot. It's got so many pins
So why not,

This?
Should work. I've been thinking of doing something similar with a WiFi dangle, but unfortunately the hub I bought is only 3 and not 4

skrapps914

Post by skrapps914 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Kilren wrote:
skrapps914 wrote:Was thinking that the gameboy cartridge could be more than just and SD extension slot. It's got so many pins
So why not,

This?
Should work. I've been thinking of doing something similar with a WiFi dangle, but unfortunately the hub I bought is only 3 and not 4

good idea as well! im just trying to free up some area in the main body, to let air circulate. so im thinking of ideas of what can be applied to the cartridge. maybe even the teensy could fit in there, or the power boost (could be good, and keep heat out of the main body)

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:14 pm

skrapps914 wrote:

good idea as well! im just trying to free up some area in the main body, to let air circulate. so im thinking of ideas of what can be applied to the cartridge. maybe even the teensy could fit in there, or the power boost (could be good, and keep heat out of the main body)
By all means, I'm not saying no. Figure out if it works by trying it, but I personally would avoid any critical component to the build. The teensy would be messy because PCB wires would have to be soldered, and there are a lot of them. Then the teensy usb would have to come out to the usb hub. You'd also likely be out of room for the SD cartridge. As for the pb1000c, I'm not sure if the cartridge pins could handle the electricity well, and would charge slow at the very least.

USB though, you'd have room to do the SD cartridge as well as well as two USBs. Though, unless one is internal such as WiFi, you'll have to decide if cutting the top of a cartridge is worth it (might lose some retro feel)

skrapps914

Post by skrapps914 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:38 pm

Kilren wrote:By all means, I'm not saying no. Figure out if it works by trying it, but I personally would avoid any critical component to the build. The teensy would be messy because PCB wires would have to be soldered, and there are a lot of them. Then the teensy usb would have to come out to the usb hub. You'd also likely be out of room for the SD cartridge. As for the pb1000c, I'm not sure if the cartridge pins could handle the electricity well, and would charge slow at the very least.

USB though, you'd have room to do the SD cartridge as well as well as two USBs. Though, unless one is internal such as WiFi, you'll have to decide if cutting the top of a cartridge is worth it (might lose some retro feel)
i was thinking, wiring the cartridge connector to the pcb, would cut wire length down. and then wiring the teensy to the cartridge itself inside so that the pins meet and it all works out. the cartridge connector has 32 pins, the teensy (as of now, is only using 13 pins)
that leaves 19 pins left, which 8 will go to the sd, leaving 11 left. some of the 11, can be used for the usb hub also. so that, everything on the main board, connects to the cartridge via the 32 pins. i know its a long shot, but it might work out.. may be a little tough soldering so much into such small areas, perhaps i can design a cartridge with pcb software, with a pre attached sd slot, and a 5v and gnd spot so that everything in the cardrige has one power and ground output to the connector. as for the usb slot on top, im thinkin about a grey colored cap for it, to hide it.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:44 pm

skrapps914 wrote:i was thinking, wiring the cartridge connector to the pcb, would cut wire length down. and then wiring the teensy to the cartridge itself inside so that the pins meet and it all works out. the cartridge connector has 32 pins, the teensy (as of now, is only using 13 pins)
that leaves 19 pins left, which 8 will go to the sd, leaving 11 left. some of the 11, can be used for the usb hub also. so that, everything on the main board, connects to the cartridge via the 32 pins. i know its a long shot, but it might work out.. may be a little tough soldering so much into such small areas, perhaps i can design a cartridge with pcb software, with a pre attached sd slot, and a 5v and gnd spot so that everything in the cardrige has one power and ground output to the connector. as for the usb slot on top, im thinkin about a grey colored cap for it, to hide it.
Go for it! And report how it works! My only concern is any time you introduce more solder points/connections, you potentially complicate any problems that might surface, but good work that is slow and patient should work just fine.

skrapps914

Post by skrapps914 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:47 pm

@kilren kinda like this. Maybe pre-designed and have pins sticking up that the treensy can sit on so no wiring is needed
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 6443 times

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:49 pm

skrapps914 wrote:@kilren kinda like this. Maybe pre-designed and have pins sticking up that the trendy can sit on so no wiring is needed
Are you thinking of having a PCB created for this? I was thinking you'd just take an old cartridge and solder to existing traces.

Edit: Also, because of the incredibly small space between pins, you'll want to skip every other one (unless you're a super star at soldering)

skrapps914

Post by skrapps914 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Kilren wrote:[Are you thinking of having a PCB created for this? I was thinking you'd just take an old cartridge and solder to existing traces.

Edit: Also, because of the incredibly small space between pins, you'll want to skip every other one (unless you're a super star at soldering)
yeah thats what im thinking. a pcb created for this. it would free up some wiring inside the main case, and free space too.

i have no idea how to create pcb. i do have eagle installed, trying to figure that out. but im guessing im gonna need the dimensions and setup of a gameboy cartridge to work it out

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:06 pm

skrapps914 wrote:i have no idea how to create pcb. i do have eagle installed, trying to figure that out. but im guessing im gonna need the dimensions and setup of a gameboy cartridge to work it out
You have to create a vector file first using illustrator or inkscape (free for personal use). The vector is pretty much the picture that you use to place everything on.

Then you open that vector in your chosen program to make a PCB (you're using Eagle).

And that is where my knowledge bottoms out :P

There a few people who are really good at making pcb's on the sight. @Helder and @prerunnerseth both do it for a living. @Cannikin also dabbles in it, and at least knows how to do the vectors. @kite also is knowledgeable. You can ask them about it more, but I suggest first watching some youtube tutorials to know which questions to ask first.