RetrOrange Pi

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
RetroRocket

Re: RetrOrange Pi

Post by RetroRocket » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Hey guys, I just got my orange pi PC today and am trying to burn the image, but when I uncompress the downloaded .tar, I just get another .tar. How do I get the Retrorange pi download to a usable .img?

Cheers!

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 pm

RetroRocket wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:13 pm
Hey guys, I just got my orange pi PC today and am trying to burn the image, but when I uncompress the downloaded .tar, I just get another .tar. How do I get the Retrorange pi download to a usable .img?

Cheers!
may be a silly question (apologies) are you using 7zip to extract, or any appropriate software to extract a tar file

i dont know if you've got your download from here.....
http://www.retrorangepi.org/#download

just to test.....
i downloaded the orangepi pc (1.78gb).... right click and extract here, and you get an RetrOrangePi-3.0.1.Orangepipc img (around 5gb)

Last edited by VeteranGamer on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:13 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 pm
RetroRocket wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Cheers!
may be a silly question (apologies) are you using 7zip to extract, or any appropriate software to extract a tar file

i dont know if you've got your download from here.....
http://www.retrorangepi.org/#download
Never mind, figured it out. I did get the file from the site, and was using 7zip to extract, getting a .tar.tar as a result. Ended up getting it to work by instead opening the downloaded file in 7zip, finding the .img and copying it to a separate folder. Up and running now! I thought it would get much hotter than it is; even without the included heatsink, this should work beautifully.

My plan is to portable-ize it in a custom case.

UPDATE: I just tested this with a variety of emulators and the most taxing ROMs I know and own. Everything my zero runs also runs without issue on the orange, as expected. PSX seems to work perfectly, at least for Silent Hill, Chrono Cross and FFVIII, with very few stutters on Armored Core. I also got DOSBox running and was able to play King's Quest, Lode Runner and some Learning Company games (basically my childhood) with no perceivable issues.

I don't know the form factor of the orange zero, but I concur that it probably isn't suitable for the DMG case...maybe with heavy modification, a false cartridge and ventilation at the very least.

I haven't gotten down to modifying it for portable play (PSU, A/V, controller input) but I'm a fan so far. On-board wifi would've been nice, but the built in desktop makes ROM transfer dead simple (but still more time-consuming than the zero's automatic download). Impressive work from these few guys, will be looking forward to improvements.

N64 gameplay was flawless, however some games I noticed some audio distortion.