Orange Pi PC

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Fleder

Re: Orange Pi PC

Post by Fleder » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:17 pm

MauroS wrote:Why not try to create a Gameboy with this board as alternative for the raspberry? :roll:
Because it is a bit too big and would get too hot probably. I am not confident enough to cut it in half, as others here did.

dantheflipman

Post by dantheflipman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:25 am

Fleder wrote:
Robvp wrote:
Fleder wrote:Have you tried installing Linux on a spare pc? I dusted off an old laptop I had in storage and put Ubuntu on it so I could read and write files onto my raspberry pi SD cards, it saves a lot of time
Thanks, but i do not have a spare one around and i won't change the sd card that often once i set up everything, so it is not that bad, i guess.

You can always boot a live cd/flashdrive with puppy Linux / Slax on it. It's just a few MB in size and boots very quickly :)

gilbertotron

Post by gilbertotron » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:29 am

Hey I just found this thread, have you tested out any other emulators on that yet?
Gamecube?
Dreamcast?
How are they running?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:53 am

Fleder wrote: It's definitely not plug in and go, but with some help from a facebook group, I was able to boot it up.
As it finally booted, it started into Emulation Station automatically, as we know it from the standard RetroPie Image.
Really nice! I have to test the emulators tomorrow and will get back to you all.
Maybe you can write up a guide on how to get it installed properly? I might look into this for an emulator console.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:12 am

Helder wrote:Maybe you can write up a guide on how to get it installed properly? I might look into this for an emulator console.
For the Version 2.5.x and above it is really easy now.
If you install 2.5.2 for instance, just burn the image on your sd with Win32DiskImager or any other tool, insert it into the O Pi and you are good to go. Much easier than the earlier versions before. I really should update the OP. Thanks.

I just ordered the OPi PC2, but unfortunately, there is no ROPi for it yet.
Lets hope this will change soon, then I will finally be able to emulate Gamecube, too.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:09 pm

So what is the top dog of the Orange Pi boards? maybe we can get @ISP or that sultry @AerynSun to make us a custom case for one of these so it looks like an mini NES or SNES.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:54 am

Helder wrote:So what is the top dog of the Orange Pi boards? maybe we can get @ISP or that sultry @AerynSun to make us a custom case for one of these so it looks like an mini NES or SNES.
The best in terms of hardware would be the new Pi PC2, but that is not supported by the RetrOrangePi OS yet.
(although Alerino Reis is working on it alongside Stevie Whyte, no idea when this will be out)

I would say the Pi PC is the best choice then. The plus Version only has onboard memory, the rest is identical.
But you can only play up to the N64 and Playstation with that board, no Gamecube or better.

Gogo sultry Aeryn :lol:

iSP

Post by iSP » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:37 am

I could do it, but right now I'm for work at the other side of the country. Soon I will have more time for side projects as I'll get to work from the comforts of my own home for the next half year.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:40 am

iSP wrote:I could do it, but right now I'm for work at the other side of the country. Soon I will have more time for side projects as I'll get to work from the comforts of my own home for the next half year.
Well there is no rush on this but would be nice to have in the future.

AerynSun

Post by AerynSun » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:17 am

iSP wrote:I could do it, but right now I'm for work at the other side of the country. Soon I will have more time for side projects as I'll get to work from the comforts of my own home for the next half year.
Same here. Not on the other side of the country, but have a lot of work/deadlines until atleast the second week of January. But I'm guessing there are models of NES / SNES somewhere online, that only need some modifications for the Orange Pi. Shouldn't be too much effort.

@helder never heard the term "sultry" before, but thanks ;)