[For Sale] $7 Game Boy Zero Controller PCB W/ Optional Audio $20 (Worldwide) SOLD OUT

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: [For Sale] $7 Game Boy Zero Controller PCB W/ Optional Audio $20 (Worldwide) SOLD OUT

Post by Helder » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:18 pm

winnetouch wrote:I have the controller with audio board (with built in headphone socket). The board was working OK (mostly it had a hiss I hadn't taken the time to eliminate yet) up until recently now the sound started acting up. As in... there is none :P. I checked all the wiring and it's OK (I'm enclosing a photo just in case)

IMG_20161211_020454217.jpg

The buttons work OK but there's no sound. The power and ground are connected properly and I added the correct lines to the config.txt file.

I tested it with a speakr and with headphones just to check if the speaker is busted. Non worked. Also in the retropie settings the sound is set to full. The only thing I didn't try yet is to change the pot. All the wired on it seem fine and I don't think it's broken.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that the problem didn't start comming up until I switched out the screen. First I used a GPIO screen bu then I switched to a composite screen. After the switch the audio just stopped working.

What could be the problem?
When you had the GPIO screen you had to have the config.txt file edited to make it work so likely something is interfering with the new screen. Go to my support thread (in my signature) I have a preconfigured config.txt file in the first post, try that out and see if it works for you.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

winnetouch

Re: [For Sale] $7 Game Boy Zero Controller PCB W/ Optional Audio $20 (Worldwide) SOLD OUT

Post by winnetouch » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:32 am

I basically rebformated the sd card because it had a ton of stuff in the config.txt file that wasn't needed anymore and I wanted to start from scratch. So nothing from the gpio screen config is left in the file but the sound still doesn't work. The only thing I can think of right now is that maybe the power supply is somehow faulty. I use these kind of connectors to connect everything to a diy power strip. Maybe the cable or connector got torn or something.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Ensembles-Mi ... 419cc97114

I just thought of that today so I'm first going to try your suggestion then try and switch out the cable connected to the power strip and see what happens.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:08 am

Post images of your wiring as it is now and also a copy of the config.txt contents.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:17 am

This is the config.txt file I currently have

Code: Select all

# For more options and information see
# http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=256
gpu_mem_1024=256
overscan_scale=1
max_usb_current=1
dtoverlay=pwm-2chan,pin=18,func=2,pin2=13,func2=4
disable_audio_dither=1

display_rotate=2
Here is my wiring. I don't know if it's clear or not because there are a ton of wires.
IMG_20161217_130548281.jpg
IMG_20161217_130548281.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 9051 times
Last edited by winnetouch on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:44 pm

Helder wrote:Post images of your wiring as it is now and also a copy of the config.txt contents.
Tried changing the power supply wire... Still nothing. Is it possible I somehow busted the pcb? All the pads look OK and all the on board elements still look fine.

EDIT: I tried removing the srcreen altogether... Still nothing. Is it possible that my sound is somehow forced through another channel? Like HDMI or something? I know I added the pwm line to force it through pwm pins but... Also... My pi zero has been through a lot (I've soldered and desoldered a lot of stuff from the pins. They still have their pads (sans one) but the protective coating wore out around some (includding one of the pwm pins). Could that be an issue? If so, can I use any other pin to output audio?

Hathe

Post by Hathe » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:38 pm

The pi zero does not do audio to PWM by default.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:10 am

Hathe wrote:The pi zero does not do audio to PWM by default.
That's kind of the problem. I added the audio pwm line of code but it still doesn't work. I tried using helders config.txt file and it still didn't work.

EDIT: Also I tried to different setting in the audio options. I set it to max volume and tried auto output, 3.5 jack output (not the HDMI output obviously). Nothing helped. When I switched out the screen everything just crapped out but removing the screen doesn't help the situation.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:26 pm

I wonder if the amp chip got fried somehow, not sure how else to proceed from here to be honest.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Helder wrote:I wonder if the amp chip got fried somehow, not sure how else to proceed from here to be honest.
Is there a way to check if the chip is fried? Maybe I can change it somehow but I need to know if it's fried first :P What kind of chip is used anyway.

To be honest I kind of doubt it's the chip. I don't know how it could have gotten dammaged. I was nowhere near the chip with my soldering iron when I was desoldering the tft screen. But you never know...