[For Sale] $7 Game Boy Zero Controller PCB W/ Optional Audio $20 (Worldwide) SOLD OUT

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: [For Sale] $7 Game Boy Zero Controller PCB W/ Optional Audio $20 (Worldwide) SOLD OUT

Post by Helder » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Do you have any headphone sockets? If you solder the Left In pad to the socket's pin that goes to the left channel on the headphones and also connect GND to the GND pin on that socket you can test if there is audio coming from the Pi. We can rule out my board that way and see if it's the Pi or my board.

EDIT: I just noticed there is no 5V going into my board in your pictures, if you don't add power to it the chip won't work and GND needs to be connected as well (any GND point on the board can be used).
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

winnetouch

Re: [For Sale] $7 Game Boy Zero Controller PCB W/ Optional Audio $20 (Worldwide) SOLD OUT

Post by winnetouch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Helder wrote:Do you have any headphone sockets? If you solder the Left In pad to the socket's pin that goes to the left channel on the headphones and also connect GND to the GND pin on that socket you can test if there is audio coming from the Pi. We can rule out my board that way and see if it's the Pi or my board.

EDIT: I just noticed there is no 5V going into my board in your pictures, if you don't add power to it the chip won't work and GND needs to be connected as well (any GND point on the board can be used).
I'll try that tomorrow, thank you for the advice. I have some headphone sockets lying arround.

There is 5v going to the board I just soldered it on the other side of the board so it's not clearly visible on the photos.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:57 am

Helder wrote:Do you have any headphone sockets? If you solder the Left In pad to the socket's pin that goes to the left channel ...
Ok, this may be a stupid question but what exactly do you mean with Left In pad?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 am

winnetouch wrote:
Helder wrote:Do you have any headphone sockets? If you solder the Left In pad to the socket's pin that goes to the left channel ...
Ok, this may be a stupid question but what exactly do you mean with Left In pad?
The pads that you normally connect to the volume wheel, either the 1st or second pad from the top can be used.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:04 pm

I got sound when I connected the headphone socket. So what's at fault now? It's obviusly not the pi since it outputs sound to pwm. Is it the amp chip?
Attachments
IMG_20161219_210144790.jpg
IMG_20161219_210144790.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 8272 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:05 pm

ok now we need to be sure 5V is going through the board, use the image below and test 5V at each component and leg of the IC that is highlighted:

If there is 5V going to all those points then we need to test the output of the chip, either use a speaker or the Headphone socket like you did and solder it to these locations:

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 pm

Since I don't have a multimeter handy I just connected the lines to the two points you mentioned. There is no sound. So I'm assuming there is something wrong with the power supply to the chip or the chip is fried?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:47 pm

winnetouch wrote:Since I don't have a multimeter handy I just connected the lines to the two points you mentioned. There is no sound. So I'm assuming there is something wrong with the power supply to the chip or the chip is fried?
Get a cheap multimeter because I'm assuming there is no power on the board or chip, once we know that part then we know what the problem is.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Helder wrote:
winnetouch wrote:Since I don't have a multimeter handy I just connected the lines to the two points you mentioned. There is no sound. So I'm assuming there is something wrong with the power supply to the chip or the chip is fried?
Get a cheap multimeter because I'm assuming there is no power on the board or chip, once we know that part then we know what the problem is.
I checked all of the points and all of them have 5V going through them. I connected a earphone jack pins to the points you highlighted and no sound came out of the earphones. The same if I tried to connect the pins to the chips pins that lead to the highlighted points.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:50 pm

winnetouch wrote:
Helder wrote:
I checked all of the points and all of them have 5V going through them. I connected a earphone jack pins to the points you highlighted and no sound came out of the earphones. The same if I tried to connect the pins to the chips pins that lead to the highlighted points.
So the chip is likely fried, I can send you another if you have the capabilities to remove the old one without killing the board or send it back to me and I'll replace it for free and ship it back.