mintyPi 2.0

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
djbriane

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by djbriane » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Speaking of Altoids tins - I've been forcing my family to eat them for the past month or so and the only one I can't get rid of is Spearmint. My teenage son who will literally eat anything placed within arms reach actually gave back the tin of spearmint Altoids uneaten. :lol:

Dukana

Post by Dukana » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:54 am

djbriane wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:47 pm
This is pretty close to what I came up with (I'm in the USA - prices include shipping costs):

Parts from Wermy/Helder:
Mint Tin Hole Jig/Guide $5.00
3D Printed Case Parts $34.50
Button PCB / Screen Board + Ribbon Cable (Helder) $41.70

Parts from other sellers (eBay/Amazon/etc):
1200mAh Lipo Battery $10.00
L/R Buttons - 6x6x5mm Tactile PushButton (DIP) $1.50
Raspberry Pi Zero (W) $10.00
Powerboost 500C $15.00
USB Sound Card $3.55
DS Lite Buttons $2.00
DS Lite Conductive Pads $3.50
Altoids Tin (Regular Size) $3.00
Speaker (20mm diameter 0.5W 8Ohm) $3.00
SPDT Mini Power Switch $1.00

TOTAL PROJECT COST: $133.75 (actually puts it just shy of the cost of the GBZ according to my calculations - I have that at $146)
Looks like you forgot to buy a Micro SD card.
P.S. I would LOVE to get a Raspberry Pi Zero W in the US for $10!!! Please PM me the details on that.

zoolman88

Post by zoolman88 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:43 pm

I am super excited about this project. Personally done 4 of the Gameboy Zero builds it's nice to just do something different. Yes from what I can see the price will come in close to a Gameboy Zero build. But we have close to 3 to 4 weeks to get parts in order. So personally I would say drag your shopping out over the wait time for the preorders to help lower the impact of the cost on your wallet.
I can't wait to see the video guide this will be my first time working with 3D printed parts and my first small Pi build. I am sure this will be fun. Told the wife we have 3 to 4 weeks to eat mints. I bet wermy has ziplock bags laying around of them.

djbriane

Post by djbriane » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:01 pm

Dukana wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:54 am
Looks like you forgot to buy a Micro SD card.
P.S. I would LOVE to get a Raspberry Pi Zero W in the US for $10!!! Please PM me the details on that.
Whoops - good catch!

You can get the Pi Zero W for $10 (regular Pi Zero is $5) at Microcenter (in-store only) if there is one of them near you (at least you could a few weeks ago - haven't checked recently).

djbriane

Post by djbriane » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:12 pm

zoolman88 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:43 pm
I am super excited about this project. Personally done 4 of the Gameboy Zero builds it's nice to just do something different. Yes from what I can see the price will come in close to a Gameboy Zero build. But we have close to 3 to 4 weeks to get parts in order. So personally I would say drag your shopping out over the wait time for the preorders to help lower the impact of the cost on your wallet.
Shrinking something down to less than 1/4 the size and it being the same price is pretty cool actually. Not to mention just how clean the whole thing will be with all the work Wermy and Helder have put in. It's always good to have an idea how much the whole thing will cost before leaping into a project tho!

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 am

djbriane wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:47 pm
This is pretty close to what I came up with (I'm in the USA - prices include shipping costs):

{snip}

TOTAL PROJECT COST: $133.75 (actually puts it just shy of the cost of the GBZ according to my calculations - I have that at $146)
here's my costing based on being in the UK, my own personal circumstances and what I have spare of already (not very helpful to anyone else but I'll add in real costs too)

Parts from Wermy/Helder:
3D printed parts cost based on Wermy releasing the STL's and printing them myself
all 3D prints including jig £3 (guess) ($40.00 + shipping)
Bare Button PCB (waiting for price from helder)

Parts from other sellers (eBay/Amazon/etc):
bare 2.4" screen £6 (Delivered from china)
1200mAh Lipo Battery - already have spare £0 ($10.00)
L/R Buttons - 6x6x5mm Tactile PushButton (DIP) £0.04 (or £2 for a pack of 50 that I bought ages ago) ( $1.50 )
Raspberry Pi Zero (W) £12 ($10.00 - seriously? $10 delivered? where?)
micro LiPo (spare) £0 ($7.00)
USB Sound Card £3
DS Lite Buttons and pads £3.50
Altoids Tin (Regular Size) £1.25
Speaker (20mm diameter 0.5W 8Ohm) (spare) £0 ($3.00)
SPDT Mini Power Switch £0.10 (£2/20) ($1.00)

giving a grand total of £13 for all the bits that aren't Pi and helders PCB. not too shabby ;)

zoolman88

Post by zoolman88 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:46 am

djbriane wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:12 pm
zoolman88 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:43 pm
Shrinking something down to less than 1/4 the size and it being the same price is pretty cool actually. Not to mention just how clean the whole thing will be with all the work Wermy and Helder have put in. It's always good to have an idea how much the whole thing will cost before leaping into a project tho!
Yea my point is both of the guys always put out solid products from what I have had experience with. Don't get me wrong the price is a bit high but I don't have any problems there. I was just saying that for the users that feel the price is high to try to span the cost over the wait for the preorder parts. Might make it feel less high lol.

LifeHacker

Post by LifeHacker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Wermy's mintypi is nothing short of amazing. I check everyday for new updates on the thing. The only problem I have with it though is the flipping functionality. I don't know what it's like because he hasn't posted the guide for it yet, but if done wrong, the screen may touch the bottom, which could result in scratches.
If not, well, it's always good to have a protected screen, right?
I've been experimenting in laser engraving software, and it's totally possible to include a thin layer of acrylic/glass on top to prevent scratching and stuff.
It will be like the GBZ, but smaller. And cuter.
Again, for me, a work in progress. I'll have to make one of the things before I start creating custom parts for it. :D
So hyped for release.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:02 pm

LifeHacker wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:38 pm
Wermy's mintypi is nothing short of amazing. I check everyday for new updates on the thing. The only problem I have with it though is the flipping functionality. I don't know what it's like because he hasn't posted the guide for it yet, but if done wrong, the screen may touch the bottom, which could result in scratches.
If not, well, it's always good to have a protected screen, right?
I've been experimenting in laser engraving software, and it's totally possible to include a thin layer of acrylic/glass on top to prevent scratching and stuff.
It will be like the GBZ, but smaller. And cuter.
Again, for me, a work in progress. I'll have to make one of the things before I start creating custom parts for it. :D
So hyped for release.
If every thing is laid out properly it closes without the buttons hitting the screen area. Also there is a hinge to hold it at the right angle for playing. People at work are super impressed with the unit I built a few days ago.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Fennekin361

Post by Fennekin361 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:48 am

Hello, me and my dad are looking to make this project this summer. We are wondering where you found the parts and what they are called. If you could give us a list of all the components that would be nice. Then we will watch your guide when it is released. Thank you :D