mintyPi Screen

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
obsidianspider

Re: mintyPi Screen

Post by obsidianspider » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks @moosepr. If that's the case, I think I'll live dangerously and not have a backup. Hopefully by the time if/when it dies someone else will be making another screen of similar enough size that I can pop it in the cart.

affensause

Post by affensause » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 pm

If we get the driver board included in the Button PCB, which potential screens can we buy. Looking at eBay etc I am not able to find 2,4 inch screens without attached board.

Maybe I am searching wrong ;)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:10 pm

affensause wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 pm
If we get the driver board included in the Button PCB, which potential screens can we buy. Looking at eBay etc I am not able to find 2,4 inch screens without attached board.

Maybe I am searching wrong ;)
Once Wermy and I have gotten all things worked out we will provide links and I'm in talks of getting a bunch of screens from a manufacturer in China so we might offer some as well. We just need time to sorts deals and communication as well as waiting on parts and boards (should have the first prototypes Monday).
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Awesomenatious

Post by Awesomenatious » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:16 pm

I bought this 6 months maybe more back when I first watched the GBzero video. Been sitting in an envelope, hasn't been opened.

Same one?

Also separately.... I found an ebay seller in HK

Same item?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262470089558

wermy wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm
Lost of questions and discussion around this (and availability), figured I'd start this to avoid gigantic threads where info gets lost. :)

Here is the screen I used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252135075697
I
The one you want is 320x240 pixels, and looks like this on the back:
Screenshot 2017-04-24 22.34.19.png
Note the number of pins (9) and the order of them. The add-on board Helder and I are working on (which will let you use a nice, thin ribbon cable in stead of hand-soldering 9 wires to connect the screen to your pi) will use 9 pins, in that order.

Some other variants have a chip on the back that is too tall for the mintyPi (ignore the SD card slot, you remove that when you put it all together):
Screenshot 2017-04-24 22.37.36.png
From what I've seen though, these ones usually have the wrong pin configuration and are a different (lower) resolution.

It seems to be in limited supply at the moment. It can be found on some sites like alibaba still but with minimum orders of 10 or so units, but check ebay and amazon - search for "2.2 SPI screen".

ILI9341 screens should be fine software-wise (may need a slightly different configuration), but I'm not sure if the components on the back are any taller (there's not a lot of clearance behind the screen as you can imagine).

Adafruit's 2.2" screen looks like it might work: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1480
It's almost identical size-wise. But it's expensive and the pins are in a different order (meaning you couldn't use the screen add-on board Helder and I are working on).

ElfUp messaged the ebay seller and got this response:
We can not ship out this item from warehouse now. We found that the whole brunch of items get problems when we checked them again before ship them out. As a responsible seller, we never ship out the defective items to our customer. We have ask for the large cargo but it may need another 2 weeks to arrive.
There is one seller on amazon that says they expect to have it in stock in the next few days:
https://www.amazon.com/4-Wire-Display-M ... B01N3L01BB

So it sounds like it may come back in stock once that is sorted out. If you find any promising-looking alternatives, or find it in stock elsewhere, post it here!
Attachments
IMG_8485.JPG
IMG_8485.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 10547 times
IMG_8484.JPG
IMG_8484.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 10547 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Yes that is the correct screen.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

AdamShepherdUK

Post by AdamShepherdUK » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 am

Hey guys, I have a question. I want to take this build, but put it inside the shell of a Nintendo DS Lite. The DS Lite screen size is approximately 3.8in, but I'm having trouble finding a screen component.

It's my first build - what should I be looking for?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:28 am

AdamShepherdUK wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 am
Hey guys, I have a question. I want to take this build, but put it inside the shell of a Nintendo DS Lite. The DS Lite screen size is approximately 3.8in, but I'm having trouble finding a screen component.

It's my first build - what should I be looking for?
The other projects area would be a better place to ask. This thread in particular would probably be of interest to you: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1227
ImageImageImageImage

yogurtcup

Post by yogurtcup » Mon May 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Hold on to your hats, I found a viable solution!

Just kidding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2-SPI-TFT-LCD ... SwWfFXkZMO
mintyPi splash screens: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2802

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon May 01, 2017 5:59 pm

yogurtcup wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 5:19 pm
Hold on to your hats, I found a viable solution!

Just kidding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2-SPI-TFT-LCD ... SwWfFXkZMO
Item description lists it as the ILI9225 screen at a lower resolution. I'd steer clear. If you're ok with waiting a little longer to get your parts, I think the 2.4" version will be worth the wait. :)

Edit: Hah, totally missed your "just kidding." 😜
ImageImageImageImage

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon May 01, 2017 6:22 pm

I don't think anyone actually commented on this, so I'll ask again.

Since there's been mention of using just the bare board with a custom adapter PCB, would it be possible to go even bigger than 2.4"? If we don't need to use the screen's board at all, that should free up a bunch of space. Unless I'm totally misinterpreting the design here (which is entirely possible :) )