Rodocop's Minty Pi(s) (updated to show all 4 builds)

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
rodocop

Rodocop's Minty Pi(s) (updated to show all 4 builds)

Post by rodocop » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:07 am

Hey all, so I finished my first Minty Pi. I won't post any build pics, just the completed units. Pretty cool project, and not very hard. Thanks to Wermy and Helder for the awesome work with these products!!!

I have parts to build two total units, but I may build a third...We'll see what happens.

First Tin - Peppermint

The lid binds a bit on this one, and the hinges of the tin kind of pulled apart when it used too much force to open it. After some filing of the 3D printed hinge area it works better. Cutting the tin at the front isn't the prettiest, but I don't mind, I used a drill bit to start the holes and then a dremel to widen them.
SpoilerShow
ImageImage

Second Tin - Wintergreen with battery monitor

Took a bit of tinkering to get this to work. Had some issues with the v1 image and updating the battery monitor scripts. Script would not install and the pi constantly froze during the attempts. It also had power issues where the system would randomly lose power.

I burnt a fresh v3 image which got the battery monitor working. It turns out I had to replace the micro lipo too, it wasn't working properly for some reason and it was the cause of the power failures. Replaced it with a tp4056 charger. All is good now.
SpoilerShow
Third Tin - Ouija, using V2 parts

Pretty happy with this, this is the first minty pi I have spent any time playing, and I might keep it around for a bit. I'm loving the clear prints, and the ouija case is pretty cool too. Not 100% happy with the cutouts on the front, but it's not too bad. My problem is always rushing, and not taking my time with the cutouts...
SpoilerShow
Fourth Tin - Peppermint, using V2 parts

Just started my fourth one, I've recently gotten a set of Helder's boards, and also a new 3D printer. i've printed all the parts myself, and plan to add this one to a peppermint tin (all prepped and ready, just waiting on the battery). I still need to get the hinge printed properly as well, it's a little bit trickier than I expected.

Well, it's done. Waiting for battery, and I'll need to print a new hinge since mine sucks.
SpoilerShow
Last edited by rodocop on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Lphillimore

Re: Rodocop's Minty Pi(s)

Post by Lphillimore » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 am

Nice work, that looks tidy!

Did you add the scraper and scrape your roms? Looks really good.

How'd you fair with the soldering? Ive got a couple of wires on both builds that I couldnt get stable continuity on.

My iron tips are either too fine or just too big. Going to order one as recommended by Helder.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:30 am

Lphillimore wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 am
Nice work, that looks tidy!

Did you add the scraper and scrape your roms? Looks really good.

How'd you fair with the soldering? Ive got a couple of wires on both builds that I couldnt get stable continuity on.

My iron tips are either too fine or just too big. Going to order one as recommended by Helder.
I just used the built in scraper in emulationstation to scrape the few roms i've put on so far.

As for soldering, everything was fine, except for the ground and 5v. I was able to get continuity at one point, but when I flexed the PCB to put the SD card in I lost it, and could not get it back no matter how I tried. I ran 2 wires to the test pads instead.

I have a nice solder tip that fits right in the holes, seems to work good (on everything except those two mentioned above)!

UNeed2Sm1le

Post by UNeed2Sm1le » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:19 pm

I just finished purchasing everything that I still need but the Tactile switches (for the L and R buttons). Where did you guys get yours at?

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:23 am

UNeed2Sm1le wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:19 pm
I just finished purchasing everything that I still need but the Tactile switches (for the L and R buttons). Where did you guys get yours at?
eBay mate. Mine were / are leftovers from my various GBZs

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:46 am

UNeed2Sm1le wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:19 pm
covered on countless threads: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3633

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 am

Thanks to user Abunchahicks for sending me a usb sound card. I have now fully completed the first peppermint minty pi as seen in the first post. I am still waiting on that battery monitor from Helder and more sound cards from china to complete the second wintergreen tin. (soon hopefully!)

I'll likely see what the next board Helder releases is before I decided on building a third!

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Updated my first post finished my second minty pi.

Touchstone

Post by Touchstone » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:27 am

rodocop wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 pm
Updated my first post finished my second minty pi.
Looks absolutely amazing rodo!

rodocop

Re: Rodocop's Minty Pi(s) (updated to show all 3 builds)

Post by rodocop » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:13 am

Updated my first post, my 4th MintyPi is almost complete.