Spooky Pi!

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
Dukana

Spooky Pi!

Post by Dukana » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:13 am

Greets all!

Shout outs up top - THANK YOU HoolyHoo!!!! You were kind enough to modify the sti file for the faceplate, giving my build an original and unique look. Also, your M2 brass inserts that you sell with your screen brackets really saved my bacon. This project literally could not have been completed without them.

Also, a big thanks to Wermy! Not only is he the mastermind behind all of these crazy devices we all love so much, he's incredibly nice and helpful. I was looking for a custom case for my build and he helped out in a big way. Everybody's said it, but it's worth saying again... you're fantastic! Please keep up the amazing work we all love so dearly, and cultivating the awesome Sudomod community that's grown around your great ideas and hard work.

Here's a look at the finished tin:
All done!Show
spookypi closed.jpg
spookypi closed.jpg (857.26 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
Check it out!Show
spookypi open.jpg
spookypi open.jpg (1008.4 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
Mmmmm custom faceplateShow
custom nylon faceplate.jpg
custom nylon faceplate.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 5769 times
So I decided to go with nylon instead of plastic.
Nylon vs PlasticShow
nylon vs plastic.jpg
nylon vs plastic.jpg (892.4 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
As some of you might have discovered in your own builds, those ridges caused by extrusion printing can make the buttons stick like crazy! I tried sanding the bumps down on my first build, but I went overboard and ended up sanding too much. So I decided to go another way. Horray for SLS printing!
Look ma, no ridges!Show
d pad goodness.jpg
d pad goodness.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 5769 times
I got a batch of Wermys prints, so I could use the screen and faceplate brackets, as well as the screws. Hoolyhoo helped my change the mintypi logo to a pentagram (thanks again!) I sent the modified file off to Shapeways for printing, as well as the screen bezel (so they'd match.)
Faceplates frontShow
faceplate comparison frontside.jpg
faceplate comparison frontside.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 5769 times
Faceplates backShow
faceplate comparison backside.jpg
faceplate comparison backside.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 5769 times
Screen bezels frontShow
screen bezel comparison front.jpg
screen bezel comparison front.jpg (980.1 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
Screen bezels backShow
bezel back side by side.jpg
bezel back side by side.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 5769 times
I think the ridges would work to the builds advantage in the case of the screen bezel. But the nylon is sitting nice and tight, and I have no plans on removing it. Should work just fine.

I used the plastic faceplate to screw down the pi zero w for the purposes of soldering all the GPIO pins.
Clamped up and ready to solderShow
one down thirty-nine to go.jpg
one down thirty-nine to go.jpg (810.06 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
Is it necessary to fill all those holes? No.
Was it easy? This time around it was!
Do yourself a favor and get some nice thin solder. I got some Kester "44" 63/37 0.015" solder off Amazon, and it made all the difference.
So much easier this time!Show
all soldered up.jpg
all soldered up.jpg (4.77 MiB) Viewed 5769 times
Last edited by Dukana on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dukana

Re: Spooky Pi!

Post by Dukana » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:14 am

I know some people have been having issues with the drill guides on a black case. I was too! My solution?
How to mark the spots on a black caseShow
silver sharpie to the rescue.jpg
silver sharpie to the rescue.jpg (839.8 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
Silver paint pen did the trick!

After all that soldering, I had to take it for a test run.
It's alive!Show
its alive.jpg
its alive.jpg (897.34 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
Here's a tip - this stage is the PERFECT time to get the software side of things done. Get a USB OTG adapter and a USB hub. Plug in a keyboard and a USB to ethernet adapter, and plug that in to your router. Trust me, transferring gigs of files across a wired connection is a whole lot faster than wifi!

This time I was super careful not to pull off a pad on my sound card.
Sounds good to meShow
sound card all wired up.jpg
sound card all wired up.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
So, the biggest hurtle I ran in to during this build turned out to be the nylon print. It looks cool, and the buttons are no longer an issue. The problem with the material? It's soft! I went to screw down the board to the bottom of the faceplate, but the screws weren't carving threads. They pulled straight out with barely any effort.

I was stuck. I didn't know what to do. Dark days were upon me. But then, I remembered a thread on the For Sale/Trade section of the forums, "HoolyHoo's AIO bracket for Kite's SAIO Board" viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2553 Hoolyhoo was using brass M2 inserts in the bracket, and was selling loose brackets and screws. I ordered eight inserts and waiting patiently for them to arrive in the mail.
brass M2 insertsShow
brass insert.jpg
brass insert.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
These were exactly what I needed! I don't have a chisel tip for my soldering iron, so I carefully pressed them in to the print with the tip of my soldering iron directly, then used a small flathead screwdriver to hold the insert still while I lifted out the iron. Here's a pic of three installed.
Inserts installed!Show
brass inserts to the rescue.jpg
brass inserts to the rescue.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
By the end of the build I had put those in every screw post. They saved my project for sure.

Speaking of saving the Spooky Pi, I had Wermy whip up a custom protective sleeve for my build. If you're going to go thru all the time, effort, and cost to build one of these beauties, you should definitely protect it from loose change and keys!

There's another problem, the top of the case is way deeper than a standard altoids tin. The lip comes about halfway down the case. The regular transparent case that Wermy designed and sells http://market.sudomod.com/mintypi-protective-sleeve/ wouldn't work in this instance. The groove needed to be moved to make room for the top half of the case. Lucky for me, Wermy was on the case!
sleeve insideShow
custom sleeve inside.jpg
custom sleeve inside.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
This next pic shows how the groove sits below the top half, but above the power switch and charge port.
side shotShow
offset groove.jpg
offset groove.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
Here's a pic from above.
Nice!Show
sliding in to a custom sleeve.jpg
sliding in to a custom sleeve.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
And of course, it all nice and cozy.
Protected in it's new sleeveShow
protected.jpg
protected.jpg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 5761 times
This was a very fun build, and I'm proud to add the Spooky Pi to my other builds.
Happy familyShow
happy family.jpg
happy family.jpg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 5761 times

Thump52

Post by Thump52 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:53 am

Awesome build, I'm jealous :D , the SLS prints do come out nice, again awesome job, keep them coming.
Gus 8-)

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:26 am

Awesome and beautiful looking build! Glad everything finally worked out. All you need now is a custom built splash and theme for that Spooky Pi! ;)

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 am

Congrats on clean build. Thanks for taking the time to write this. Lots of good tips here.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:42 am

Very good log, thanks for sharing this with us !
Follow me on instagram Image