Action Buttons Binding - Smoothing Button Wells?

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
obsidianspider

Action Buttons Binding - Smoothing Button Wells?

Post by obsidianspider » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:19 pm

When playing a game where you have to roll your thumb from one button to another (Mark Kart where you roll from B to A to fire a shell while still having your "foot on the gas") I'm noticing that A is binding. It seems to be due to the button binding on the layers of the 3D print when you don't push it down squarely.

I was thinking of how to smooth this out, maybe with sandpaper, but I also don't know how effective it will be. Has anyone else noticed this or come up with a solution? When you press a button individually, or press it straight down, things are fine. Yes, I already took a file to the square in the middle and smoothed that out.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Action Buttons Binding - Smoothing Button Wells?

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:19 pm

The button has a semi flat surface what I like to do is also file it flat and it usually moves better.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:26 pm

It's not an issue with the buttons rubbing up against the well, it's an issue with the button rotating in the well causing the button to not return home properly. I'm experiencing this only with my Y button using OEM DS Lite buttons.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Too many button variations out there to make it all universal, probably a good idea ot thicken that square wall and then have people file the button flat areas as needed so it's a tighter fit.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:35 pm

I was thinking of putting something in the well (like you recommended) to prevent it from spinning but decided that I will deal with it instead of opening it for the 101 time.

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm

dryja123 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:26 pm
It's not an issue with the buttons rubbing up against the well, it's an issue with the button rotating in the well causing the button to not return home properly. I'm experiencing this only with my Y button using OEM DS Lite buttons.
That's an issue too, I noticed it with the B button on games where I tend to hold my thumb on it a lot. The problem I was seeing with the button getting stuck was that I couldn't push it down at an angle when I rolled my thumb to it. If I press straight down, no problem at all.

I agree with Helder that you can't make one print that suits all buttons.

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 pm

dryja123 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:35 pm
I was thinking of putting something in the well (like you recommended) to prevent it from spinning but decided that I will deal with it instead of opening it for the 101 time.
Yeah, I'm going to live with it. This thing is just a novelty, and a very cool one at that.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 pm

If the buttons are actually spinning when you push them hard, you may need to tighten down the two screws holding the button PCB against the 3d-printed part. If it's not tight enough then yeah it's possible for that to happen.
ImageImageImageImage

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Also if you take your time and file down the inner square piece so it's as smooth as possible, as well as the corners of the outer part of the button wells, you can get it nice and smooth with no catching - I've done several this way. It can take some patience but it's worth it!
ImageImageImageImage

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 pm

wermy wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:39 pm
Also if you take your time and file down the inner square piece so it's as smooth as possible, as well as the corners of the outer part of the button wells, you can get it nice and smooth with no catching - I've done several this way. It can take some patience but it's worth it!
I agree, I spent a solid hour cutting and filing out the button wells to get the button action perfect. I just noticed after I put it together that when my thumb scrolls over to hit the Y button I hit the side of the button, pushing it down on an angle, causing it to spin. I'll try tighten the screws up but I think I had them as tight as they could go.

Will post back when the itch gets too bad :lol: