Did I fry my pi?

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
teroblacknight

Did I fry my pi?

Post by teroblacknight » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:49 am

I just finished a build yesterday, tested and everything working, and was screwing down the bottom assembly when it shut off. I tried trouble shooting by removing my power source and all soldered components except for the Helder mintyPi v2. Now when I plug in my wall power source I get no green light on the pi, and the central processor gets remarkably hot very quickly.

Is it possible that I'm shorting somewhere? Or did I just burn my pi?

YaYa

Re: Did I fry my pi?

Post by YaYa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 am

You may have a short somewhere. Check all the connections with a multimeter.
Also post some pictures from both side of the board so we can see if nothing suspicious is visible
Follow me on instagram Image

teroblacknight

Post by teroblacknight » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:14 am

I tested all connections between the pi and Helder's board, everything is clean. Photos attached:
Attachments
IMG_1469.jpg
IMG_1469.jpg (111.67 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
IMG_1468.jpg
IMG_1468.jpg (94.87 KiB) Viewed 4766 times

teroblacknight

Post by teroblacknight » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:36 am

*Correction; When going through continuity tests, 3.3v is shorted to GND. I'm glad to know that's what's going on, but I can't for the life of me determine where it might be. Do you get any insight from the images?

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:21 am

You can test compressed air, maybe there is a cable rest or solder wire between the pi and pcb. If you have do desolder the pi: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2508&start=1590#p50786
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 am

I would test continuity between your vcc GPIOs and the surrounding GPIOs if you suspect a short. Also, I don't know if it's the picture or just me but it seems like your Pi isn't sitting square to the button PCB. The end that looks like it isn't square is the VCC and GND on the right side of photo 1.

teroblacknight

Post by teroblacknight » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm

I think de-soldering is going to be my best bet, as much of a pain as that is, since a.) I can't isolate the problem to either board until that's done, and b.) If I did fry my pi, I want to salvage that Helder board.

Thanks for the help guys, as always, appreciated. Thankfully I have a back-up, so I'm not totally out of work! :)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:37 pm

I hope you have a good hot air rework station to desolder them, just take your time and go back and forth across the whole GPIO area slowly to build up enough heat to melt the solder then put a little pressure (little being the key word here) to help separate the 2 boards as the solder is melted.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.