Never able to update retropie, failed update results in no display

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
sygyzy

Never able to update retropie, failed update results in no display

Post by sygyzy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:48 pm

This will be the third time I have to start the software from a fresh stock image because of how unstable (my) mintyPi setup is. I know the adage "don't mess with it if it works" but I am a stickler for having all my software up to date. Having the latest revisions means more support, bug fixes, stabilty improvement etc. Each time I start with the stock mintyPi image, things go well then when I try to update, it always breaks. I have two other Pi Zero based Retropie devices and while they all take a very long time to update from source (due to CPU intensive compiling), only the mintyPi is unable to complete. It can be updating core files or updating optional packages. At some point, the whole thing just freezes. Usually, I am able to hard reboot and try updating again, making progress gradually. But, inevitably it'll reach a point where the display just turns off and the device freezes. I imagine this might be because of a stuck driver update but I can never be sure since I don't monitor the Pi while it's updating. On reboots, the Pi's green light is on but no display and I can't seem to find it on the network either.

Has anyone been able to successfully fully update Retropie from source, including optional packages? If I can someone figure out a way to SSH in, are there tips on how to restore the display drivers, if that's what's causing the issue?

Thanks.

dryja123

Re: Never able to update retropie, failed update results in no display

Post by dryja123 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Not me, it freezes every time.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Ok so I am not crazy. Yeah, isn't that weird? There's no reason it shouldn't be able to successfully update. Like I said, I have two other Retropie's that use Pi Zero's and they update 100% just fine. The initial updates take 3-4 hours but they don't just keep freezing like the mintyPi does.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Did you initiate the update through SSH? I recall updating using a bluetooth keyboard and it went fine. Every other time was through SSH and they all froze. I haven't tested it enough with a keyboard. I just leave it alone now.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:36 pm

No, I did the update through the Retropie Setup menu accessed from ES. I don't think it'd make a difference if I SSH'd in and ran setup from there.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:15 pm

When you change stuffs outside configs folders, the system halts because it will erase your changes...

Like editing /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg and not copying it to /opt/... will prevent the setup script from being updated with the same error.

You can see a message saying that the requested update will delete your changes thus exiting... (don’t remember which log sorry, but this is the idea)
Follow me on instagram Image

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 am

Sorry, I understood each of your statements but not the message as a whole.