[WANTED] Raspberry Pi (any model), DMG-01 Start/Select buttons & Batteries

Post all "Looking to buy XYZ" threads here.
joe7dust

[WANTED] Raspberry Pi (any model), DMG-01 Start/Select buttons & Batteries

Post by joe7dust » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Looking to build a handheld emulator.
Last edited by joe7dust on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:27 am, edited 9 times in total.

Fleder

Re: [WANTED] Switches Kit and possibly also a Pot

Post by Fleder » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:23 am

joe7dust wrote:I finally got all the major parts ordered to create a RetroPie player inside a GBA SP shell. I believe the only thing I need still for sure are the switches themselves. I might also need a pot, but if there is a way to just set a fixed volume and then not have to worry about wiring up volume adjustment then I might just leave it at a fixed volume.

I'm hoping that someone here has spare switches laying around and could do US shipping to arrive by the 13th to 15th.
I am from germany, so shipping would tage ages. But look in this forum, there are a lot of suers that sell spare parts.
Also, just use a USB DAC with a volume button, if you want to set and forget the volume.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:28 am

Fleder wrote:
joe7dust wrote:I finally got all the major parts ordered to create a RetroPie player inside a GBA SP shell. I believe the only thing I need still for sure are the switches themselves. I might also need a pot, but if there is a way to just set a fixed volume and then not have to worry about wiring up volume adjustment then I might just leave it at a fixed volume.

I'm hoping that someone here has spare switches laying around and could do US shipping to arrive by the 13th to 15th.
I am from germany, so shipping would tage ages. But look in this forum, there are a lot of suers that sell spare parts.
Also, just use a USB DAC with a volume button, if you want to set and forget the volume.
OK will do thank you.

Regarding the USB DAC I got a similar response on the rpi irc. Basically it sounds like unless I want to buy a bunch of components and wire up THIS then my best bet is going to be using a USB DAC. That is unfortunate because I was hoping that simply the audio amp board and speaker would be enough, but hopefully I can find a USB DAC for less than $5 after shipping and still have a couple bucks left for the switches.

edit: I just realized.. I probably don't even need the amp board now right, wouldn't that all be built into the USB DAC such that just hooking up a speaker to the USB DAC is enough?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:38 am

joe7dust wrote:OK will do thank you.

Regarding the USB DAC I got a similar response on the rpi irc. Basically it sounds like unless I want to buy a bunch of components and wire up THIS then my best bet is going to be using a USB DAC. That is unfortunate because I was hoping that simply the audio amp board and speaker would be enough, but hopefully I can find a USB DAC for less than after shipping and still have a couple bucks left for the switches.

edit: I just realized.. I probably don't even need the amp board now right, wouldn't that all be built into the USB DAC such that just hooking up a speaker to the USB DAC is enough?
No, if you use a USB DAC, you do not need the amplifier.
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... +soundcard
Something like this would do, but i am not sure if this particular product will work with the Pi.
But others here on the forums used a similar one, i think.

The switches are a few cents. And if you can't invest 2 dollars more, than this project might not be for you.
Those won't be the last investments you will ahve to make, probably. This is no cheap project.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:43 am

Fleder wrote:
joe7dust wrote:OK will do thank you.

Regarding the USB DAC I got a similar response on the rpi irc. Basically it sounds like unless I want to buy a bunch of components and wire up THIS then my best bet is going to be using a USB DAC. That is unfortunate because I was hoping that simply the audio amp board and speaker would be enough, but hopefully I can find a USB DAC for less than after shipping and still have a couple bucks left for the switches.

No, if you use a USB DAC, you do not need the amplifier.
Something like this would do, but i am not sure if this particular product will work with the Pi.
But others here on the forums used a similar one, i think.

The switches are a few cents. And if you can't invest 2 dollars more, than this project might not be for you.
Those won't be the last investments you will ahve to make, probably. This is no cheap project.
Great, thanks for that info. Would you mind taking a look at this post? http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 5459#p5459

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:23 pm

I still haven't ordered these switches. Looking like I won't use a pot at all in my build and will just have a fixed volume output.

Here's what I still need: (shippable to TX, USA)

- Pack of switches to interface between the GBA SP buttons and the GPIO on the RPi0
- Pack of switches for GBZ build in a DMG-01 shell OR GBZ Controller Board (@Helder's latest design preferred)
- 2x 2000+ mAh batteries
- Components for 2x PWM mono audio circuits (2x 270R, 2x 150R, 2x 33N & 2x 10U)
- DMG-01 Shell w/ Buttons included
- LCD Display for the GBZ build that will fit in a DMG-01
- MicroSD card
- Raspberry Pi (any model)
- Solder Wick (aka dewick)
Last edited by joe7dust on Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Fleder wrote:No, if you use a USB DAC, you do not need the amplifier.

I had bad luck not using an amp. I had to use an amp even with the USB dac. Fleder, did you have success using the usb audio without an amp?
Fleder wrote:This is no cheap project.
Agreed! You better be willing to spend a minimum of $120 without blinking an eye. Realistically, it is somewhere between +$150-200.

A lot of the parts you listed, amazon and ebay is your best friend.
Parts List
Last edited by Kilren on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Kilren wrote:
Fleder wrote:No, if you use a USB DAC, you do not need the amplifier.

I had bad luck not using an amp. I had to use an amp even with the USB dac. Fleder, did you have success using the usb audio without an amp?
Fleder wrote:This is no cheap project.
Agreed! You better be willing to spend a minimum of $120 without blinking an eye. Realistically, it is somewhere between +$150-200.

A lot of the parts you listed, amazon and ebay is your best friend.
I think I'll get away with spending less than $120. I wouldn't mind spending that if I had too, but it doesn't look necessary at this time.

BTW @Kilren, @Helder's new GBZ controller board actually has the amp already built in so hopefully I am able to snag one of those. :)

@Kilren Your link is broken.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:51 pm

joe7dust wrote:I think I'll get away with spending less than $120.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good luck. This is not a cheap project.

My link seems fine.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Kilren wrote:
joe7dust wrote:I think I'll get away with spending less than $120.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good luck. This is not a cheap project.

My link seems fine.
It's working now.

About the price you will see. I don't mind getting my :lol:s later on. Mine won't have the benefit of the overpriced adafruit powerboard like play while charge and prevent sdcard corruption on low battery, but everything else the clones seem to be just as good as the premium products.