Battery level indicator

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Nosfay

Re: Battery level indicator

Post by Nosfay » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:59 pm

I received the board, everything is fine, except I have to add a switch between it and my battery because without it's powered all the time.

And I think I can't use a RGB led because original leds has no common cathod =/

day

Post by day » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:27 am

Nosfay wrote:I received the board, everything is fine, except I have to add a switch between it and my battery because without it's powered all the time.

And I think I can't use a RGB led because original leds has no common cathod =/
which one did you ended up ordering ?
and how do you wire it to the rest ?

thanks for the info :)

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:26 am

Nosfay wrote:I think you'll need resistor because all led are not at same voltage.

It's the card I have, and sadly, leds battery level work only on charge.
The board is marked to have the LEDs soldered straight on. There are surface mount resistors in-line already.

Metallicis

Post by Metallicis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:02 am

I'm new to this kind of thing but couldn't you just attach an led to the points on the powerboost? And/or remove the original led?

Nosfay

Post by Nosfay » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:38 am

@day : I bought this one. (10 days for delivery to FR! It said 15-34 :) )
I wired it between B+ et B-.

@Camble: you're right, it should work, but you need LED working at nearly same voltage

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:06 pm

That really interests me. If anyone find a way to display on the screen the percentage left I would really love them. Knowing there is already an arduino available in the case (Through @helder's pcb, that could be a nice feature to add too)
Arduino sketch for the gamepad (Teensy replacement): http://github.com/oxodao/GBZGamepad

day

Post by day » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:13 am

Nosfay wrote:@day : I bought this one. (10 days for delivery to FR! It said 15-34 :) )
Thanks for the info !
Just to get it right, this is suitable for charging status, but also to know how much battery is left when playing ?
And another question linked with power/board, in order to keep the GBZ unhurt, one might want to turn the GBZ off when the first yellow led is on or we can go up to the red one ?

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:55 am

day wrote:
Nosfay wrote:@day : I bought this one. (10 days for delivery to FR! It said 15-34 :) )
Thanks for the info !
Just to get it right, this is suitable for charging status, but also to know how much battery is left when playing ?
And another question linked with power/board, in order to keep the GBZ unhurt, one might want to turn the GBZ off when the first yellow led is on or we can go up to the red one ?
This will not display the status of charging, because at that time, the voltage over the battery is at charging level (4.6v if i am correct).
It will only display battery voltage when you play.
You can play it to the last red led, there will be 20% charge left in the battery, so you'll be ok to charge it then :)
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

Nosfay

Post by Nosfay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:59 am

There is a green led on power boost to know when charge is over. This battery indicator show battery level from the moment of you turn on (raspberry on or off, whatever).

I think when you have only the red LED on, you can turn off properly your raspberry without problem.

Vbauso

Post by Vbauso » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:52 am

How do you wire this (https://de.aliexpress.com/item/3-7V-Li- ... 6169c1b4a0) to your powerboost? I have the adafruit powerboost 1000c in my gbz...