L & R Buttons

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
gilbertotron

Re: L & R Buttons

Post by gilbertotron » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:28 am

That looks awesome! Well done! Did you us epoxy to hold in the perf board as well?
I see those little lips in the second photo and I presume that's the epoxy too.
The aluminium to tidy it up looks really good and I especially love the stamped numbers!
Congrats dude!
Last edited by gilbertotron on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kapakai

Post by kapakai » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:51 am

Hey smoothoperator, that modification looks good!

In fact, I like it so much, I've been thinking about redesigning the original to incorporate those buttons instead. My current design, I admit, is more difficult to get right.

Is there a US distributor for those buttons? I really want to avoid ordering from China so I can get started on the redesign, asap.

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:42 am

gilbertotron wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:28 am
That look awesome! Well done! Did you us epoxy to hold in the perf board as well?
I see those little lips in the second photo and I presume that's the epoxy too.
The aluminium to tidy it up looks really good and I especially love the stamped numbers!
Congrats dude!
Only screws are holding the perf board in. The lips you are referring to is where I built the edge up with epoxy to prevent the screw from splitting the edge out. On my first attempt screwing this together the sides broke out because there wasn't enough "meat" around the screw holes. Thank you, I'm glad you like it :D

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:53 am

kapakai wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:51 am

In fact, I like it so much, I've been thinking about redesigning the original to incorporate those buttons instead. My current design, I admit, is more difficult to get right.

Is there a US distributor for those buttons? I really want to avoid ordering from China so I can get started on the redesign, asap.
That would be great! These buttons make it much easier to incorporate the tactile switches and perf board to the housing. I'm not sure about a US distributor as I received mine from china or hong kong I believe. Took about a month to get them off of ebay. Unfortunately I ruined my spares in the making of this or I could send you them to expedite the redesign. All credit goes to you on this Kapakai. Without your design, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to attempt to make it more user friendly ;) Now I just need to find a nice fitting high capacity battery for the cartridge compartment area. Any suggestions anyone? Pictures?

kapakai

Post by kapakai » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:40 am

smoothoperator wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:53 am
kapakai wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:51 am

That would be great! These buttons make it much easier to incorporate the tactile switches and perf board to the housing. I'm not sure about a US distributor as I received mine from china or hong kong I believe. Took about a month to get them off of ebay. Unfortunately I ruined my spares in the making of this or I could send you them to expedite the redesign. All credit goes to you on this Kapakai. Without your design, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to attempt to make it more user friendly ;) Now I just need to find a nice fitting high capacity battery for the cartridge compartment area. Any suggestions anyone? Pictures?
I ended up buying the buttons from the link you provided. :D Also bought another button set from Banggood which is, I think, similar in size. 12mmx12xmm7mm. They usually ship fast. Under two weeks.

The battery I have now is ripped out of a portable usb battery charger that I found at a local store. It's about 2500mah. Not that big. I can provide you pictures as soon as I start to work on the next GB Zero.

mrdude42

Post by mrdude42 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:16 am

Wow. This looks awesome!

kapakai

Post by kapakai » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:37 am

The buttons took a while to arrive but here it is, version 2 of the shoulder buttons cover:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2406507

gilbertotron

Post by gilbertotron » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:46 am

I wonder if you'd be so kind as to show us the back of the cover so we can see how the buttons are connected?
Mega job by the way!!! It looks fantastic!

kapakai

Post by kapakai » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:05 am

gilbertotron wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:46 am
I wonder if you'd be so kind as to show us the back of the cover so we can see how the buttons are connected?
Mega job by the way!!! It looks fantastic!
There's a rear view pic in the thingiverse link. ;)

snoek09

Post by snoek09 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:58 am

Really nice solution, well done!
I'm curious to see which battery you got.