Custom GameBoy Zero RetroPie Splash Screen

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Zero

Re: Custom GameBoy Zero RetroPie Splash Screen

Post by Zero » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Ok I couldn't wait til tomorrow. :D

It does look good and works smoothly. Will look forward to the 4:3 version.

AJRedfern

Post by AJRedfern » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Zero wrote:Ok I couldn't wait til tomorrow. :D

It does look good and works smoothly. Will look forward to the 4:3 version.
Brilliant, cheers for the photo @Zero
I should be able to get it uploaded for some time tomorrow afternoon.
AJRedfern - Author of the Game Boy Zero Splash Screen seen in Wermy's Custom Parts Guide Pt 2.
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1440

AJRedfern

Post by AJRedfern » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:18 am

Okay, managed to get a couple of minutes to do this earlier than expected.

Download Link (4:3): http://bit.ly/GBZ-SplashScreenDownload-43

@wermy @Zero I've converted and uploaded a 4:3 version of the GBZ Splash Screen (See above) if you would like to give any feedback and also if you are able to test the new Ratio. Just a couple of notes, the Splash Screen background is currently an off white colour to reduce on screen glare however it can easily be altered to a bright white if this is preferred. From @Zero's photo yesterday it looks like the 'Zero' text size should be okay but let me know if this is too small or the line spacing under the 'Game Boy' Logo is too small.
AJRedfern - Author of the Game Boy Zero Splash Screen seen in Wermy's Custom Parts Guide Pt 2.

Zero

Post by Zero » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:36 am

Just tried it and it looks great and much better in 4:3. Thanks for doing it. Fits my 320x240 3.5" BW screen nicely. In the photo I did yesterday that screen has a protector over it and the colours are off, the photo was just meant as an example of it working nicely, etc, so don't pay attention to the odd artifacts in it.

A couple of side notes:

-I like it the length it is as I also like to see some of the boot info, but some people might like to hide that so maybe a longer running boot video could be an idea. :?: Of course everyone's boot up time will differ, but as an example on my pi zero it's around 20seconds to get to the emulationstation screen. I'd imagine a pi2 or 3 would be around 10secs.

-On the audio... I don't know if you can play boot sounds (i know the file has some) but I'm using a usb sound card that probably doesnt even initialise before this boot video finishes playing so won't get the audio. Maybe those using pwm would hear that fine. :?:

AJRedfern

Post by AJRedfern » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:10 am

Zero wrote:Just tried it and it looks great and much better in 4:3. Thanks for doing it. Fits my 320x240 3.5" BW screen nicely. In the photo I did yesterday that screen has a protector over it and the colours are off, the photo was just meant as an example of it working nicely, etc, so don't pay attention to the odd artifacts in it.

A couple of side notes:

-I like it the length it is as I also like to see some of the boot info, but some people might like to hide that so maybe a longer running boot video could be an idea. :?: Of course everyone's boot up time will differ, but as an example on my pi zero it's around 20seconds to get to the emulationstation screen. I'd imagine a pi2 or 3 would be around 10secs.

-On the audio... I don't know if you can play boot sounds (i know the file has some) but I'm using a usb sound card that probably doesnt even initialise before this boot video finishes playing so won't get the audio. Maybe those using pwm would hear that fine. :?:
Brilliant, cheers for the quick feedback @Zero.

Length: This is very easy to alter and can create multiple versions at different lengths by either extending the 'Game Boy' drop or letting the logo sit on the screen for longer. I know you can also disable to boot text entirely however i'm unsure if this would disable the splash screen, like yourself I do quite like to see some of the boot info so have not looked into this.

Audio: This may be due to your USB sound card. @wermy's original 'Nintendo' Splash Screen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRFZM2ZICWQ) seemed to play the audio without a problem.

AJRedfern

Post by AJRedfern » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:39 pm

Just noticed that my download counter for the 4:3 version is sitting at 20 unique downloads since I uploaded it yesterday. Glad that people like it enough to download.

I tried an inverted version this evening with a black background and white text however the Raspberry Pi logo just gets lost in the black background and doesn't look right when you replace the black in the logo with white.

May play about with a few other versions this weekend. I have an idea for a v2 of the GBZ Splsh Screen that I have already done, which would extend the play time to 15-20 seconds without it just leaving that 1 Logo on.

otaola.franc

Post by otaola.franc » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:53 am

AJRedfern wrote:Just noticed that my download counter for the 4:3 version is sitting at 20 unique downloads since I uploaded it yesterday. Glad that people like it enough to download.

I tried an inverted version this evening with a black background and white text however the Raspberry Pi logo just gets lost in the black background and doesn't look right when you replace the black in the logo with white.

May play about with a few other versions this weekend. I have an idea for a v2 of the GBZ Splsh Screen that I have already done, which would extend the play time to 15-20 seconds without it just leaving that 1 Logo on.
love it!!! maybe a good idea is if it shows gameboy normally and the berry from raspberry drops from the upper screen and begins smashing down the O until it disapear and after the berry stops bouncing it show "Zero" in a smaller size next to the gameboy.

AJRedfern

Post by AJRedfern » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:14 pm

otaola.franc wrote: love it!!! maybe a good idea is if it shows gameboy normally and the berry from raspberry drops from the upper screen and begins smashing down the O until it disapear and after the berry stops bouncing it show "Zero" in a smaller size next to the gameboy.
Cheers for the feedback, I'll have to try find time to give it a go. It would involve some more in depth animation, nothing difficult though, just more time consuming.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:05 pm

@AJRedfern

I really like that splash screen video. Looking forward to the longer version so I can hide the boot text on my Pi Zero. Thanks!
Image Image

AJRedfern

Post by AJRedfern » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:14 pm

RxBrad wrote:@AJRedfern

I really like that splash screen video. Looking forward to the longer version so I can hide the boot text on my Pi Zero. Thanks!
No problem, I've been working on this this weekend to find the nicest solution and should have something uploaded this next week.

It may involve a few versions that people can choose from. And will probably be asking for feedback after I post the first version.