[Help Needed] Can't figre out why usb hub doesn't work

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
winnetouch

[Help Needed] Can't figre out why usb hub doesn't work

Post by winnetouch » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:01 am

Hy.

I just made my GB0 almost working. There are only 2 issues I need to get arround. One that's the most frustrating is the USB hub. I used an unpowered usb hub (since the targus one in wermys guide is also not externaly powered). I soldered the male jack data cables to the coresponding usb pads on the pi. Also I wired the powere cables directly to the power strip (a homemade one on a perfboard not helders). The usb hub has only 2 ports. One goes to the teensy and the other to the USB breakout (where the GB link cable normaly sits). I wired the breakouts data cables to the hub, and the power lines to the power strip. But the hub doesn't work. Neither the teensy nor the breakout. When I wired the breakout data wires directly to the coresponding pads (still keeping the power wires on the power strip) on the Pi0 it worked fine.

So I'm guessing I'm wiring something wrong with the hub. Or did I just understand something wrong in Wermys guide?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: [Help Needed] Can't figre out why usb hub doesn't work

Post by Helder » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:37 am

winnetouch wrote:Hy.

I just made my GB0 almost working. There are only 2 issues I need to get arround. One that's the most frustrating is the USB hub. I used an unpowered usb hub (since the targus one in wermys guide is also not externaly powered). I soldered the male jack data cables to the coresponding usb pads on the pi. Also I wired the powere cables directly to the power strip (a homemade one on a perfboard not helders). The usb hub has only 2 ports. One goes to the teensy and the other to the USB breakout (where the GB link cable normaly sits). I wired the breakouts data cables to the hub, and the power lines to the power strip. But the hub doesn't work. Neither the teensy nor the breakout. When I wired the breakout data wires directly to the coresponding pads (still keeping the power wires on the power strip) on the Pi0 it worked fine.

So I'm guessing I'm wiring something wrong with the hub. Or did I just understand something wrong in Wermys guide?
Post pictures of the install and have you tried to twist the data lines?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:48 am

I'll sketch up a diagram what i did. The project is riddled with wires because i used a tft screen and a powerboost alternative, so i had some extra wiring to and the project looks kind of messy.

No I've not tried tangling the data wires I'll try that next.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Here is how I connected the thing. I haven't found the time to try tangled wires yet because I need to find some longer wire I don't have handy at the moment.

EDIT: I tried twisting the wires while having the hub connected as diagram bellow. The pi turns on (the screen is white) but it never boots up from the SD card... Weird.
usb diagram.png
usb diagram.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 9854 times

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:30 am

Anyone? I'm kind of torn between keep trying with the hubs I've already got or to just give up and get an externaly powered usb hub and do it that way (though I'm not that keen on that idea).

TimBer

Post by TimBer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:15 am

Brett82

Post by Brett82 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:48 am

going by your diagram above it looks like you have your input and output switched on the hub pi0 > hub on the input then your teensy and external port on the outputs of the hub.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:32 am

Um... Maybe i labeled it wrong but i think i didn't. Isnfta usb considered an input device? Regardless... I used the correct set of cables. That part was the male usb jack that pluged in to usb. I just sliced it up and connected it to the ports as shown.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:37 am

Also i think it's more of a power issue. The leds on my keyboard light up when i plug it in then immediately turn of. And the keyboard doesn't work. I'm suspecting it doesn't draw enough power or it's not grounded right.

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:54 pm

after 2 days of pulling my hair out I gave up and ordered a powered usb hub. So I hope that one will work as it should. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.