Alternative Case

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Camble

Alternative Case

Post by Camble » Tue May 17, 2016 11:37 am

For anyone that may be using custom PCBs and the like, a replacement shell like the one linked below may be a viable option. The print on the front is ever so slightly different (notice the letter 'O' in GAMEBOY) but I'd seriously considered using one of these shells since I wanted as good a condition Gameboy Zero as possible.

Anyway, here's the link.

Ganreizu

Re: Alternative Case

Post by Ganreizu » Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 am

There's a lot of custom/replacement shells around for relatively cheap. I did this myself actually because i wanted a black game boy with blue text.

Word of warning: I don't think the plastic is of the same quality as stock shells. I made the slight mistake of using a wrong screw that was too long and made an indent in the front part of the case. Not terribly noticeable, and i make the excuse of it adding a bit of character, but just be careful with the drilling and sanding is all.

codacious

Post by codacious » Tue May 17, 2016 12:25 pm

Ganreizu wrote:There's a lot of custom/replacement shells around for relatively cheap. I did this myself actually because i wanted a black game boy with blue text.

Word of warning: I don't think the plastic is of the same quality as stock shells. I made the slight mistake of using a wrong screw that was too long and made an indent in the front part of the case. Not terribly noticeable, and i make the excuse of it adding a bit of character, but just be careful with the drilling and sanding is all.
Where did you find your case if you don't mind me asking?

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue May 17, 2016 12:31 pm

codacious wrote:Where did you find your case if you don't mind me asking?
Just off amazon, nothing special.

http://www.amazon.com/Mall%C2%AENew-Rep ... ement+case

http://www.amazon.com/Housing-Nintendo- ... ement+case

First one is the one that i got, second one is just a far better deal. (you even get a triwing...such good deal)

codacious

Post by codacious » Tue May 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Ganreizu wrote:
codacious wrote:Where did you find your case if you don't mind me asking?
Just off amazon, nothing special.

http://www.amazon.com/Mall%C2%AENew-Rep ... ement+case

http://www.amazon.com/Housing-Nintendo- ... ement+case

First one is the one that i got, second one is just a far better deal. (you even get a triwing...such good deal)
Awesome thanks! Ordered one. I bought an original case off ebay and it was in worse shape than I thought when it got here. I was able to make all the modifications without screwing it up but it has still bothered me that it looks so crappy. Thanks again!

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue May 17, 2016 3:26 pm

codacious wrote:Awesome thanks! Ordered one. I bought an original case off ebay and it was in worse shape than I thought when it got here. I was able to make all the modifications without screwing it up but it has still bothered me that it looks so crappy. Thanks again!
No problem. I did the same thing except i knew i didn't want the original and just like you the original case was FILTHY. Didn't want to bother cleaning it, and the upside is you can still use the original case for parts (button wells, screw holes for the screen bracket) as well as practice. The button wells are especially helpful.

codacious

Post by codacious » Tue May 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Ganreizu wrote:
codacious wrote:Awesome thanks! Ordered one. I bought an original case off ebay and it was in worse shape than I thought when it got here. I was able to make all the modifications without screwing it up but it has still bothered me that it looks so crappy. Thanks again!
No problem. I did the same thing except i knew i didn't want the original and just like you the original case was FILTHY. Didn't want to bother cleaning it, and the upside is you can still use the original case for parts (button wells, screw holes for the screen bracket) as well as practice. The button wells are especially helpful.
Great idea! Yeah mine was disgusting too and took forever to clean. I guess these people played with their gameboys in the dirt when they were kids! I also really liked the idea that other posters had of adding a screen protector but I had already cut out the area for the screen and didn't leave a nice little bezel for the screen protector to sit on so that's been bothering me as well. I always tend to rush through projects and then end up doing a second one after I learn from my mistakes :P .

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Tue May 17, 2016 11:17 pm

codacious wrote:Great idea! Yeah mine was disgusting too and took forever to clean. I guess these people played with their gameboys in the dirt when they were kids!
You can play with GB's in other places?! This really changes the whole entire way I've been looking at this.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 18, 2016 1:25 am

Kilren wrote:
codacious wrote:Great idea! Yeah mine was disgusting too and took forever to clean. I guess these people played with their gameboys in the dirt when they were kids!
You can play with GB's in other places?! This really changes the whole entire way I've been looking at this.
Same, I thought people always played GBs in cleanrooms! /s :lol:

sander

Post by sander » Wed May 18, 2016 3:34 pm

You can also buy the cases in different colors here (free shipping)

http://www.banggood.com/OEM-Full-Housin ... 37201311DI