Actual wiring diagram

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Cannikin

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by Cannikin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:23 am

Kilren wrote:That is really interesting. I wonder what is going on there. There shouldn't be anything that has that much of a draw. I can definitely say though that it is not the wifi dongle.
Interesting...I would have assumed it WAS his Wifi dongle! I know that some of them draw enough power that even on a Pi 2 you sometimes can't use a Wifi and Bluetooth dongles at the same time without a powered USB hub—it just can't provide enough current through the USB ports.

[mention]dirtybeagles[/mention] have you tried playing around without the Wifi dongle connected at all and see what kind of life you get? When I tested battery life I started Super Mario World and just let the attract screen play with the sound at a moderate level. I got about 2 hours on the 2000mAh Adafruit lipoly battery before the low voltage light came on.

I know wermy mentioned 3-4 hours in his original video but I wonder if he actually tested it in controlled conditions or just estimated based on playing it on and off throughout the day...

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:27 am

Cannikin wrote:Interesting...I would have assumed it WAS his Wifi dongle! I know that some of them draw enough power that even on a Pi 2 you sometimes can't use a Wifi and Bluetooth dongles at the same time without a powered USB hub—it just can't provide enough current through the USB ports.
Really? I was judging this on what components a wifi dongle is made up of. That is crazy if it is what is causing it. I'll retract my statement and say, "test away!"

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Cannikin wrote:have you tried playing around without the Wifi dongle connected at all and see what kind of life you get
I am charging it now and when I have it full I will do the same test as Cannikin and report back. I disconnected the wifi dongle.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Kilren wrote:Really? I was judging this on what components a wifi dongle is made up of. That is crazy if it is what is causing it. I'll retract my statement and say, "test away!"
Yeah, here's a thread on Wifi dongle power usage over at the RPi forums: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=11184 One site did some testing and saw current draw of between 100mA and 500mA depending on the model. :o

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:12 pm

So, I think we may have found the smoking gun here guys. Let me tell you what I have experienced without the wifi dongle...

1. Zero distortion from the sound. I have great sound quality now!! so happy.
2. My display seems to not have jitter anymore. Woot!
3. The PowerBoost is not getting as hot anymore.

This is a game changer. Hopefully this helps others. I will not be using wifi unless I am transferring data to the GB0.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:24 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:So, I think we may have found the smoking gun here guys. Let me tell you what I have experienced without the wifi dongle...

1. Zero distortion from the sound. I have great sound quality now!! so happy.
2. My display seems to not have jitter anymore. Woot!
3. The PowerBoost is not getting as hot anymore.

This is a game changer. Hopefully this helps others. I will not be using wifi unless I am transferring data to the GB0.
Nice! Feel better? :)

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Kilren wrote:
joe7dust wrote:I plan to use this AMP
I am trying to get around to writing a guide using non-OEM parts to do the audio. I'll have it posted hopefully tomorrow. This weekend at the latest. That is the same board I am using, though I bought it under a different name here.

An extra note though, I am using all non-oem parts for audio, including pot, usb audio card, headphone jack, speaker, and amp.
Is there any chance of you posting this today? I held off on ordering more audio-related stuff because I wanted to see your guide first. I'm actually thinking of wiring into the GPIO, @Popcorn made it look relatively easy compared to the original adafruit guide so I'm willing to give it a shot! Looks like I'd just need a 270R, 150R, 33N & 10U for that.

Retrorednek

Post by Retrorednek » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Thank you for the wiring diagram! If I wanted to use Mausberry shutdown circuit, should I wire it between the wires that goes from powerboost to Pi in your wiring diagram? In this case I would of course wire the switch to the Mausberry circuit. Where should I put the power wires from the screen? Thanks!

yves1984

Post by yves1984 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:44 pm

has someone any idea how i must wiring this audio?
because i don't have a original DMG for use it and i want to have also stereo there ;)

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 pm

@yves1984

Here. There are a couple of different alternatives to audio. Read through them, they're all great. You just have to choose how you want to do yours.
viewforum.php?f=22