What ps are you guys using for the pi3?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
jermzz

What ps are you guys using for the pi3?

Post by jermzz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Wanting to do a pi3 build but I'm reading screen and pi, you need like 2.5amps. Sounds like the 1000c is a no go? What are other people using?

Maybe it will work because you won't see anywhere near peak draw running single thread?

What have you had success with?

thanks!

GB3

Re: What ps are you guys using for the pi3?

Post by GB3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Hey jermzz, I made a thread about this a few days ago,

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2841

But the gist of it is that people use the banggood model, and supposedly it works pretty well. I bought 2 (just in case lol) for my build.

I found a better price on aliexpress, seems like they have the best prices for Canada.

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:23 pm

But it's also a max 1a isn't it? I wonder why it does better than the adafruit?

GB3

Post by GB3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Yeah that is what it says. But if people are using them and they work alright then I'd trust those people over the seller's info.

Alternatively, I've heard you could use a powerboost 1000 (non c) to power the pi from the battery, and use something else to charge the battery. Here is a thread with an adafruit support person describing it:
https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=91125

Also, you could consider getting a power bank that has a higher amperage output. The problem with those though is that they usually use 18650s and those can be hard to fit in the case. I looked at the RavPower Luster 3350mah and the RavPower 6700mah because they both advertise 2.4a charging. You can get either of them on amazon for under 20$. They're pretty big though. Also, they might only output 2.4a to a device that is sending a certain signal over the USB data lines, like a smartphone fast charge system. I couldn't find any 2.4a low profile power banks either, those two use 18650s.

So far, banggood model looks like a good deal. And for 7$ CAD (about 5$ USD) for 2 of them, it wouldn't be a huge risk to take. Unless there's a risk of them hurting your raspberry pi ;)

jellybelly

Post by jellybelly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 am

Do you have a link to the Ali express bang good you bought?

jellybelly

Post by jellybelly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:35 am

Awesome hopefully this should sort my pi3 build out as the powerboost isn't cutting it

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 am

Is this just a Pi3 issue? The 1000c seems to be the default choice for most handheld builds, and I'd expect to hear a lot more complaints if it wasn't really compatible.

Like, how many builds have used the 1000c? How many have had problems? It's not uncommon to see some weird, unique issue pop up in someone's build because their specific collection of parts isn't quite compatible, or isn't set up quite right. If most builds using the Powerboost are fine, and only a couple are having issues, I'd wonder if the issues are specific to those particular builds.

GB3

Post by GB3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:01 pm

I believe that retrogamingnow had some issues, and that chedda had some (Though his may not have been powerboost related). Also looks like jellybelly a few posts up is having problems. SotaSystems has had no problems with the powerboost.

The main reason I chose not to use the power boost was the price, even the 1000 non c costs around 40$ in Canada. If it's not too expensive in your country there wouldn't be much risk in buying the powerboost. But I'd pick up a couple of the banggood model in case it doesn't work out.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 pm

My main concern is kind of selfish - I was planning to use a powerboost in my build (and I'm debating whether to go Pi3 or Pi0), and ordering a banggood board would kinda suck, since it would mean waiting another month.

(although I may have to do that anyway, since the parcel with my switches, pots, speakers etc. seems to have been lost in transit :()

Anyway... tip for a fellow Canadian: most major cities will have at least one electronics supply shop that stocks Adafruit stuff. So you may be able to source it locally, which will save quite a bit on shipping. I bought the powerboost at a local robotics/maker store and it was $26. The 500c is $22.