Where to get started making a gameboy zero

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Jaytee#5

Where to get started making a gameboy zero

Post by Jaytee#5 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 pm

Recently i got two soldering irons as a gift, (they are both single temperature, so not changable) and then i found this website, i watched some videos about different projects and decided that i want to make a Gameboy Zero. I watched through wermys video then started gathering links for the parts i need, but i hit a few roadblocks, Helder doesn't make AIO boards anymore, and some websites are temporarily closed, like kitsch bent (or whatever it is called). So i looked at some other AIO boards but i was confused about how i would use them instead. Could somebody please help me?

infinitLoop

Re: Where to get started making a gameboy zero

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:21 am

Jaytee#5 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 pm
Recently i got two soldering irons as a gift, (they are both single temperature, so not changable) and then i found this website, i watched some videos about different projects and decided that i want to make a Gameboy Zero. I watched through wermys video then started gathering links for the parts i need, but i hit a few roadblocks, Helder doesn't make AIO boards anymore, and some websites are temporarily closed, like kitsch bent (or whatever it is called). So i looked at some other AIO boards but i was confused about how i would use them instead. Could somebody please help me?

if you are looking for something like in wermy's second video, then i think tinkerboy's is the closest to helder's old aio, and pretty much the only one like on the market right now.

Jaytee#5

Post by Jaytee#5 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Yeah, i found the tinkerboy, but I also found it went way over budget, my limit is 100 AUD

Jaytee#5

Post by Jaytee#5 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Though i did find a tutorial for one that was 50 usd or something
and with that i might have some left over to add the gameboy cartridge with the ready, because he just had the powerboost hanging ot

Jaytee#5

Post by Jaytee#5 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:42 pm

for the ds cartridge reader do i just have to desolder the micro sd card, then add wires to the thing and get a cartridge with the sd adapter

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Jaytee#5 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:42 pm
for the ds cartridge reader do i just have to desolder the micro sd card, then add wires to the thing and get a cartridge with the sd adapter
you don't have to desolder anything. just solder to the pads on the underside (its the same as if you did that).

Last edited by infinitLoop on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:14 pm

so, there are cheaper options than this approach, if you want a budget build.

the most cost-effective way to do it is to do gpio wiring for the buttons, to a "common ground" type board (a lot of soldering, but not really all that complicated) which can be found for a couple bucks all over. and to use a "generic" or inexpensive 5v boost/charger, not something like adafruit's powerboost (cheap ones that do the same can be found for a fraction of the price). and most people skip the frustration of doing the card reader and just stick the micro sd out somewhere - wiring like that to one of those readers can be finicky.

Jaytee#5

Post by Jaytee#5 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:18 pm

oh ok, thanks!

edit: so i could get maybe something like one of the cheaper tinkerboy boards without the headphone jack?
and also, what currency does tinkerboy use

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:28 pm

Jaytee#5 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:18 pm
oh ok, thanks!

edit: so i could get maybe something like one of the cheaper tinkerboy boards without the headphone jack?
and also, what currency does tinkerboy use
i believe his stuff is in USD.

yeah, so... his v1.x boards are the "common ground" type. basically, just look for "gbz button pcb" or stuff like that, but pocketadventures.com has one, glitchdgaming, etc. those have to be wired to the pi's gpio or to a microcontroller...

then his v2.x then just basically do what wermy did in the first video, by putting a microcontoller in there to handle the buttons, and a simple amp system for handling the audio (which can be annoying to do yourself).

and finally his v3.x one just sticks all that with a usb audio adapter that sounds better, and a usb hub so you can still use the usb.

i think he's basically the only one doing the types like his v2 and v3, but places like pocketadventures have other takes on the "aio" boards.

Jaytee#5

Post by Jaytee#5 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:01 pm

ok, thanks i have taken pocket adventures into consideration, especially since if he does it in usd (i converted it to aud) then it is nearly a fifth of the tinker boy v2.0.1, and it has a headphone jack,

What i am planning to do now is if i can't afford the build i will take out the speaker, because the AIO has a headphone jack, so i can use some ear plugs, i think the main issue is the 5v boost charger, and the actual battery